How Are Government Hospitals Performing? A Study of Resource Management in DOH-retained Hospitals
AbstractThe paper attempts to provide an overview of the hospital sector in the Philippines with particular emphasis on hospitals being managed by the DOH. The paper begins with an overview of the hospital sector in the Philippines, describing the size, location, and utilization of hospital services. To assess the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery in DOH-retained hospitals, an analysis of resource management is undertaken by examining the sources of funds, planning and budgeting cycle, uses of funds, and monitoring set-up. The paper provides a critique of recent policies concerning hospitals as outlined in the Health Sector Reform Strategy. The last section concludes and provides some policy recommendations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2010-02.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
health sector; health expenditures; health care; health facilities; hospitals; health care reform; health care financing; health management; health service delivery; Philippines; health; health funds;
Other versions of this item:
- Rouselle F. Lavado & Abigail Barbara Sanglay-Dunleavy & Jeanette Jimenez & Yasuhiko Matsuda, 2010. "How Are Government Hospitals Performing? A Study of Resource Management in DOH-retained Hospitals," Microeconomics Working Papers 22807, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bontile, Honey Loveleen R., 2013. "Performance of DOH-Retained Hospitals in the Philippines," Discussion Papers, Philippine Institute for Development Studies DP 2013-36, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.