Assessing Competition in Philippine Markets
AbstractThis paper reviews the current empirical literature on competition and market structure of Philippine industries. It shows that weak competition is one of the fundamental factors that explain limited growth, productivity, and employment in the economy. Philippine experience has shown that reforms such as trade liberalization, deregulation, and privatization, while necessary, are not sufficient to foster effective competition. The success of these reforms depends on the creation of a competitive domestic market environment, which is in turn determined by the interplay of behavioral, regulatory, and structural constraints along with the broader aspects of competitive infrastructure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2008-23.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
competition; market structure; regulation;
Other versions of this item:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-10-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2008-10-13 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-DEV-2008-10-13 (Development)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2012.
"Trade Reforms, Competition, and Innovation in the Philippines,"
DP 2012-06, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Rafaelita M. ALDABA, 2012. "Trade Reforms, Competition, and Innovation in the Philippines," Working Papers DP-2012-05, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Jenny D. Balboa & Fatima Lourdes E. Del Prado & Josef T. Yap, 2010. "Achieving the ASEAN Economic Community 2015 : Challenges for the Philippines," Governance Working Papers 23089, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Maureen Ane D. Rosellon & Josef T. Yap, 2010. "The Role of the Private Sector in Regional Economic Integration : a View from the Philippines," Governance Working Papers 23107, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.