Industrial Agglomeration in the Philippines
AbstractThe economic reform process in the Philippines was accelerated in the 1980s and 1990s. The reforms were found to have yielded positive results in terms of the nature of industrial agglomeration in the country as this was found to have occurred in the 1990s based on the results of the survey and econometrics analyses. The latter also identified the factors that influenced firms to agglomerate in the country, referring to economic fundamentals and deliberate policy and public action by government. However, industrial upgrading and innovation in the country was found to be weak. Expenditures on R&D are low and linkages between stakeholders are not strong. There are firms that have undergone upgrading in terms of introduction of new goods, upgrading of machineries, and opening of new markets but they tended to rely more on their in-house capabilities probably due to inadequate support from the government’s institutional infrastructure and financial system, which came out from the estimation results. The agglomeration strategies that are currently being pursued in the Philippines--establishment of economic zones and industry clustering--have the potential to address some of the issues and problems identified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2008-14.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
innovation; industrial agglomeration; industrial clusters; industrial upgrading; economic zones;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-05-17 (Development)
- NEP-URE-2008-05-17 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Austria, Myrna S., 1998. "The Emerging Philippine Investment Environment," Discussion Papers DP 1998-27, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lamberte, Mario B., 1988. "Science and Technology and Economic Development," Working Papers WP 1988-28, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2006.
"FDI Investment Incentive System and FDI Inflows : The Philippine Experience,"
Finance Working Papers
22335, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2006. "FDI Investment Incentive System and FDI Inflows: The Philippine Experience," Discussion Papers DP 2006-20, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- repec:phd:rpseri:rps_2003-04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Herrin, Alejandro N. & Pernia, Ernesto M., 1986. "Factors Affecting the Choice of Location: A Survey of Foreign and Local Firms in the Philippines," Working Papers WP 1986-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Medalla, Erlinda M. & Balboa, Jenny D., 2006. "State of Trade and Investments in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2006-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Patalinghug, Epictetus, 2003. "The Philippine National Innovation System: Structure and Characteristics," Discussion Papers DP 2003-04, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Lindsey, Charles & Valencia, Ernesto M., 1981. "Foreign Direct Investment in the Philippines: A Review of the Literature," Working Papers WP 1981-11, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Jenny D. Balboa & Erlinda M. Medalla, 2006. "State of Trade and Investments in the Philippines," Trade Working Papers 22612, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Medalla, Erlinda M. & Pante, Filologo Jr., 1990. "The Philippine Industrial Sector: Policies, Programs and Performance," Working Papers WP 1990-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Manasan, Rosario G., 1981. "Public Finance in the Philippines: A Review of the Literature," Working Papers WP 1981-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.