The East Asian Crisis and Philippine Sustainable Development
AbstractAsia is not only the most polluted and environmentally degraded region in the world, but it also houses the most number of poor households. Hence, the magnitude of the financial and economic crisis can be expected to have an impact in the region’s sustainable development prospects, the nature and the period of which are likely to be determined by the state of the country’s environment and social development. In particular, the paper looks into the impact of East Asian crisis into the Philippine economy at the time when the country itself has the El Nino to deal with. It also highlights the implications of the crisis and the El Nino on various policy and institutional challenges in the areas of water resources, upland and coastal areas and the urban environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 1998-04.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Asian financial crisis; El NiÃ±o phenomenon;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey Sachs, 1998. "The Onset of the East Asian Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1989. "Financial Markets and Development," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 55-68, Winter.
- Basilio, Leilanie Q. & Intal, Ponciano Jr. S., 1998. "The International Economic Environment and the Philippine Economy," Discussion Papers DP 1998-25, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Medalla, Erlinda M., 2001. "Impact of Trade Policy Reforms on the Environment," Discussion Papers DP 2001-07, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Israel, Danilo C., 1998. "The Environmental Impacts of Economic Cycles," Discussion Papers DP 1998-43, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.