Food Policy: Its Role in Price Stability and Food Security
AbstractDue to the increase in prices of basic agricultural commodities in 1995, food price stability and food security have again emerged as a major policy concern. This paper argues that the sharp increases in prices of rice; largely the choice and management of policy instrument have caused corn and sugar. Highly protectionist policy on tariffs imposed on sensitive agricultural products is not sustainable over a prolonged period of time. Moreover, bidding out of the right to import while retaining quotas, can minimize gross errors in timing and amount of importation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 1997-11.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
food sector; food price stability; nominal protection rate; price instability;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:pjd_2007_vol._xxxiv_no._1-b is not listed on IDEAS
- Yao, Richard T. & Shively, Gerald E. & Masters, William J., 2005.
"How Successful Are Government Interventions In Food Markets? Insights From The Philippine Rice Market,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19263, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Richard Yao & Gerald Shively & William Masters, 2005. "How Successful Are Government Interventions In Food Markets? Insights From The Philippine Rice Market," Working Papers 05-06, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:pjd_2002_vol._xxix_no._2-d is not listed on IDEAS
- Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Cu, Leah Francine & Illescas, Jo Anne, 2012. "Rice Prices and the National Food Authority," Discussion Papers DP 2012-27, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.