Agricultural Growth and Rural Incomes: Rural Performance Indicators and Consumption Patterns
AbstractThis paper examines the farm-nonfarm linkages of agricultural growth and the mechanisms by which agricultural development changes the economic welfare of various groups of rural population. Parameter estimates of the Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDS) utilizing Philippine data show substantial differences in the demand responses by various population groups to changes in household incomes. In addition, construction of consistent and defined indicators of rural performance is presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 1994-12.
Date of creation: 1994
Date of revision:
agriculture sector; poverty; rural sector; farm lands; consumption pattern;
Other versions of this item:
- Arsenio M. Balisacan, 2012. "Agricultural Growth and Rural Incomes: Rural Performance Indicators and Consumption Patterns," Working Papers id:4990, eSocialSciences.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bautista, Romeo M., 1987. "Production incentives in Philippine agriculture: effects of trade and exchange rate policies," Research reports 59, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Deaton, Angus, 1986. "Demand analysis," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1767-1839 Elsevier.
- Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 1993. "Rural nonagricultural activities in development : Theory and application," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 75-101, February.
- Atkinson, Anthony B, 1991. "Comparing Poverty Rates Internationally: Lessons from Recent Studies in Developed Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 3-21, January.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M., 1991.
"Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-Farm Employment and Rural Poverty in the Philippines,"
1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia
145723, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M, 1993. "Agricultural Growth, Landlessness, Off-farm Employment, and Rural Poverty in the Philippines," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(3), pages 533-62, April.
- Thomas, D. & Strauss, J. & Barbosa, M.M.T.L., 1989. "Estimating The Impact Of Income And Price Changes On Consumption In Brazil," Papers 589, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1986. "A methodology for measuring food poverty applied to Kenya," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 59-74, November.
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1981. "Demographic Variables in Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1533-51, November.
- Bautista, Romeo M., 1991. "Dynamics of Rural Development: Analytical Issues and Policy Perspectives," Working Papers WP 1991-07, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- James, William & Roumasset, James, 1992. "HOW to Facilitate or Stifle Economic Development: The Role of Agriculture in Indonesia and the Philippines," MPRA Paper 14848, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nijkamp, P., 1993. "Urban environmental quality improvement in developing countries : socio-economic possibilities and limits," Serie Research Memoranda 0073, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav & van de Walle, Dominique, 1991. "Quantifying Absolute Poverty in the Developing World," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(4), pages 345-61, December.
- Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique, 1991. "The impact on poverty of food pricing reforms: A welfare analysis for Indonesia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-299.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-83, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.