Comment on Ameriks, Caplin, Leahy & Tyler (2007): Measuring Self-Control Problems
AbstractAmeriks, Caplin, Leahy & Tyler (2007) study how lack of self-control may lead to overconsumption and low wealth accumulation. For their analysis, the authors calculate difference scores from their survey questions. We review their study and highlight potential issues in the use of difference scores such as lack of reliability, validity, spurious correlation and variance restriction. The concerns we raise put into question their findings and the conclusions they draw.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics in its series Working Papers with number 61.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Warburger Str. 100, 33098 Paderborn
Web page: http://www.uni-paderborn.de/fakultaeten/wiwi/department4/cie/
More information through EDIRC
self-control; difference scores; reliability; validity; spurious correlation; variance restriction;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
- C18 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Methodolical Issues: General
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter, J Paul & Churchill, Gilbert A, Jr & Brown, Tom J, 1993. " Caution in the Use of Difference Scores in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(4), pages 655-62, March.
- John Ameriks & Andrew Caplin & John Leahy & Tom Tyler, 2007. "Measuring Self-Control Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 966-972, June.
- G. Kuder & M. Richardson, 1937. "The theory of the estimation of test reliability," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 151-160, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (FB5-Info).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.