New Firm Creation and Failure: A Matching Approach
AbstractWe propose that the rate of creation and failure of new firm start-ups can be modelled as a search and matching process, as in labor market matching models. Deriving an "entrepreneurial" Beveridge curve, we show that a successful start-up depends on the efficiency with which entrepreneurial ability is matched with business opportunity, and outline a number of possible applications of this matching approach to assist in formalizing the economics of entrepreneurship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics in its series Working Papers with number 39.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Warburger Str. 100, 33098 Paderborn
Web page: http://www.uni-paderborn.de/fakultaeten/wiwi/department4/cie/
More information through EDIRC
Entrepreneurship; start-ups; labor market matching;
Other versions of this item:
- Gries, Thomas & Jungblut, Stefan & Naudé, Wim, 2012. "New firm creation and failure: A matching approach," MERIT Working Papers 015, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2011-06-11 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-ENT-2011-06-11 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HME-2011-06-11 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-SBM-2011-06-11 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gries,Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and Human Development: A Capability Approach,"
Working Paper Series
wp2010-68, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gries, Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and human development: A capability approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 216-224.
- Gries, Thomas & Naudé, Wim, 2011. "Entrepreneurship and human development: A capability approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3-4), pages 216-224, April.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2007. "Creation and Pursuit of Entrepreneurial Opportunities: An Evolutionary Economics Perspective," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 323-337, April.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, January.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Shimer, Robert, 2000. "Wage and Technology Dispersion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(4), pages 585-607, October.
- Thomas Gries & Wim Naudé, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and structural economic transformation,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 13-29, January.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Structural Economic Transformation," Working Paper Series RP2008/62, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew & Stutzer, Alois, 2001. "Latent entrepreneurship across nations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 680-691, May.
- Mark Casson & Nigel Wadeson, 2007. "The Discovery of Opportunities: Extending the Economic Theory of the Entrepreneur," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 285-300, April.
- James Fiet & Pankaj Patel, 2008. "Entrepreneurial Discovery as Constrained, Sytematic Search," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 215-229, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (FB5-Info).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.