Bangladesh Apparels Export to the US Market: An Examination of Her Competitiveness vis-à-vis China
AbstractThe paper tries to focus whether China's ascendancy will have any tangible impact on Bangladesh's export oriented RMG sector and identifies some of the apparel categories in which both the countries have common interests in the US market by analyzing the RCA index and recent performance of both the countries in view of the recent US-China MoU. The paper tries to assess the impact of China's accession to the WTO on Bangladesh's export oriented apparels sector by undertaking an indepth examination of the relative competitiveness correlates of Bangladesh and China in the US market and study their implications for Bangladesh's apparels export to the US market. Towards this, the study investigates the export performance of Bangladesh and China in the US market and price dynamics, and identifies the sources of strengths and weaknesses of Bangladesh vis-à-vis China.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD) in its series CPD Working Paper with number 62.
Length: 59 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Apparels; Export; US market; China; Bangladesh;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-02-24 (China)
- NEP-CWA-2007-02-24 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2007-02-24 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2007-02-24 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Audet, 2004. "Structural Adjustment in Textiles and Clothing in the Post-ATC Trading Environment," OECD Trade Policy Papers 4, OECD Publishing.
- Malaga, Jaime E. & Mohanty, Samarendu, 2003. "The Agreement on Textiles and Clothing: Is It a WTO Failure?," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 4(1).
- Deepak Bhattasali & Li Shantong & Will Martin, 2004. "China's Accession to the World Trade Organization, Policy Reform, and Poverty Reduction: An Introduction," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 1-2.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Avra Bhattacharjee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.