Economics and Design of Capacity Markets for the Power Sector
AbstractCapacity markets are a means to assure resource adequacy. The need for a capacity market stems from several market failures the most prominent of which is the absence of a robust demand-side. Limited demand response makes market clearing problematic in times of scarcity. We present the economic motivation for a capacity market, present one specific market design that utilizes the best design features from various resource adequacy approaches analyzed in the literature, and we discuss other instruments to deal with the problems. We then discuss the suitability of the market for Europe and Germany in particular.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton in its series Papers of Peter Cramton with number 12cocap.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision: 2012
Publication status: Published in Zeitschrift für Energiewirtschaft, 36:113-134, 2012
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Economics Department, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742-7211
Phone: (202) 318-0520
Fax: (202) 318-0520
Web page: http://www.cramton.umd.edu
Auctions; electricity auctions; capacity auctions; reliability auctions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2012-10-13 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-RES-2012-10-13 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael A. Crew & Paul R. Kleindorfer, 1976. "Peak Load Pricing with a Diverse Technology," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(1), pages 207-231, Spring.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817.
- Katrin Schmitz & Bjarne Steffen & Christoph Weber, 2013. "Incentive or impediment? The impact of capacity mechanisms on storage plants," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/46, European University Institute.
- Benjamin Häusinger & Julian Dieler & Jana Lippelt, 2012. "Kurz zum Klima: Kohlekraft im Schatten der Energiewende," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 65(22), pages 34-40, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Cramton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.