Combined Effects of Load Factors and Booking Time on Fares: Insights from the Yield Management of a Low-Cost Airline
AbstractBased on two strands of theoretical research, this paper provides new evidence on how fares are jointly affected by in-flight seat availability and purchasing date. As capacity-driven theories predict, it emerges that fares monotonically and substantially increase with the flights occupancy rate. Moreover, as suggested in the literature on intertemporal price discrimination, the adoption of advance purchase discounts is widespread as the departure date nears, but it may be part of a U-shaped temporal profile, where discounts are preceded by periods of relatively higher fares. Finally, the intervention of yield management analysts appears to play a substantial role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods in its series Quaderni di Dipartimento with number 171.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via S. Felice, 5 - 27100 Pavia
Web page: http://dipartimenti.unipv.eu/on-dip/epmq/Home.html
More information through EDIRC
Pricing policy; Panel Data; Ryanair; Yield Management.;
Other versions of this item:
- Marco Alderighi & Marcella Nicolini & Claudio A. Piga, 2012. "Combined Effects of Load Factors and Booking Time on Fares: Insights from the Yield Management of a Low-Cost Airline," Working Papers 2012.14, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-05-15 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-TRE-2012-05-15 (Transport Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2009. "Does Competition Reduce Price Dispersion? New Evidence from the Airline Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 1-37, 02.
- Alberto A. Gaggero & Claudio A. Piga, 2011.
"Airline Market Power and Intertemporal Price Dispersion,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 552-577, December.
- Alberto A. Gaggero & Claudio A. Piga, 2009. "Airline Market Power and Intertemporal Price Dispersion," Discussion Paper Series 2009_10, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2009.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Talavera, Oleksandr, 2010.
"Are airlines' price-setting strategies different?,"
Journal of Air Transport Management,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-6.
- Diego Escobari & Li Gan, 2007. "Price Dispersion under Costly Capacity and Demand Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 13075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alderighi, Marco, 2010. "Fare dispersions in airline markets: A quantitative assessment of theoretical explanations," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 144-150.
- Steven L. Puller & Anirban Sengupta & Steven N. Wiggins, 2009. "Testing Theories of Scarcity Pricing in the Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 15555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bachis, Enrico & Piga, Claudio A., 2011. "Low-cost airlines and online price dispersion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 655-667.
- Marc Möller & Makoto Watanabe, 2010. "Advance Purchase Discounts Versus Clearance Sales," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(547), pages 1125-1148, 09.
- Borenstein, Severin & Rose, Nancy L, 1994.
"Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 653-83, August.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 1995. "Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 3785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1994. "Living by the "Golden Rule": Multimarket Contact in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 341-66, May.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1993. "Localized Market Power in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 66-75, February.
- Escobari, Diego, 2012.
"Asymmetric Price Adjustments in Airlines,"
42115, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Puller, Steven L. & Taylor, Lisa M., 2012. "Price discrimination by day-of-week of purchase: Evidence from the U.S. airline industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 801-812.
- Escobari, Diego & Mellado, Cristhian, 2013. "The Choice of Airport, Airline, and Departure Date and Time: Estimating the Demand for Flights," MPRA Paper 47943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Bonomolo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.