State Aid to Business in the European Union: a Focus on the Car Sector
AbstractMaking use of an original dataset we empirically investigate the determinants of state aid to the car industry in the European Union. The EU regulatory system on state aids and the long history of governments' grants to this industry make this an interesting case study. Our findings show that in the period 1992-2008 -controlling for a number of variables - subsidies to the car sector have shown a decreasing trend, mainly because of the reduction in the aid aimed at increasing the productive capacity of firms. We find a pattern of a dynamic strategic game among EU countries, whereby aiding a firm induces other member states to grant more subsidies; this seems to be mainly driven by rescue and resctruring aid. Overall, economic and political variables (industry's value added, country's income per capita, election year, government's political orientation) are found to significantly affect aid to the car industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management in its series DEM Working Papers Series with number 001.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
car industry; state aid to business; EU competition policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-10-27 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-10-27 (Microeconomic European Issues)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcella Nicolini & Carlo Scarpa & Paola Valbonesi, 2012.
"Aiding Car Producers in the EU: Money in Search of a Strategy,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno"
0115, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Marcella Nicolini & Carlo Scarpa & Paola Valbonesi, 2013. "Aiding Car Producers in the EU: Money in Search of a Strategy," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 67-87, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.