Food security policy options for China: lessons from other countries
AbstractAs China becomes more industrial and urbanized, it is likely to become more dependent over time on imports of (especially land-intensive) farm products, most notably livestock feedstuffs. If farmers are slow to adjust to their declining competitiveness, for example by obtaining off-farm employment, the farm-nonfarm household income gap may increase. A decline in food self-sufficiency may be perceived as undermining national food security, and a persistent farm-nonfarm income gap as contributing to social unrest. In these circumstances, what offsetting or compensating policy options should the government consider for ensuring adequate long-term food security and less income inequality? This paper evaluates China's historical record since 1980 and then projects China's economy to 2030, using the GTAP global economy-wide model. It draws on past policy experiences of both China and more-advanced economies to evaluate prospective interventions by government to address food security and income inequality concerns. The potential effects of some of those are estimated for 2030, again using the GTAP model. The paper concludes by suggesting alternative ways to achieve the fundamental objectives of national food security and less rural-urban income inequality, namely via generic social safety nets and improved rural infrastructure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2014-11.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
China's economic growth; Food security; Farm productivity growth; Global economy-wide model projections;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2014-05-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2014-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-TRA-2014-05-04 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym & Lloyd, Peter & MacLaren, Donald, 2008.
"Distortions to agricultural incentives in Australia since world war II,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4471, The World Bank.
- Kym Anderson & Peter Lloyd & Donald Maclaren, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(263), pages 461-482, December.
- Kym Anderson & Peter Lloyd & Donald MacLaren, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2007-01, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, Kym & Lloyd, Peter J & Maclaren, Donald, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Australia Since World War II," CEPR Discussion Papers 6436, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2007.
"China's (uneven) progress against poverty,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-42, January.
- World Bank, 2012. "World Development Report 2013," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11843, August.
- Zhao, Yaohui, 1999. "Labor Migration and Earnings Differences: The Case of Rural China," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(4), pages 767-82, July.
- Rao, Xudong & Hurley, Terrance M. & Pardey, Philip G., 2012.
"Recalibrating the Reported Rates of Return to Food and Agricultural R&D,"
135018, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Rao, Xudong & Hurley, Terrance M. & Pardey, Philip G., 2012. "Recalibrating the Reported Rates of Return to Food and Agricultural R&D," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124581, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Shenggen Fan & Peter Hazell, 2001. "Returns to Public Investments in the Less-Favored Areas of India and China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1217-1222.
- Fan, Shenggen & Chan-Kang, Connie, 2008. "Regional road development, rural and urban poverty: Evidence from China," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 305-314, September.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2012.
"Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 36-48.
- Kym Anderson & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2010-16, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2010. "Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization," CEPR Discussion Papers 8102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gertler, Paul & Martinez, Sebastian & Rubio-Codina, Marta, 2006.
"Investing cash transfers to raise long term living standards,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3994, The World Bank.
- Paul J. Gertler & Sebastian W. Martinez & Marta Rubio-Codina, 2012. "Investing Cash Transfers to Raise Long-Term Living Standards," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 164-92, January.
- Will Martin & Kym Anderson, 2012.
"Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 422-427.
- Martin, Will & Anderson, Kym, 2011. "Export restrictions and price insulation during commodity price booms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5645, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will, 2011. "Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms," CEPR Discussion Papers 8494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Yang, Jin & Wang, Shenglin, 2010.
"China has reached the lewis turning point,"
IFPRI discussion papers
977, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Morrow, John & Carter, Michael, 2013.
"Left, right, left: income, learning and political dynamics,"
45020, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Morrow & Michael Carter, 2013. "Left, Right, Left: Income, Learning and Political Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 19498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huang, Jikun & Wang, Xiaobing & Rozelle, Scott, 2013. "The subsidization of farming households in China’s agriculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 124-132.
- Robert T. Jensen & Nolan H. Miller, 2011. "Do Consumer Price Subsidies Really Improve Nutrition?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 1205-1223, November.
- Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2004. "Infrastructure and regional economic development in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 203-214.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Gaiha, Raghav & Pandey, Manoj K. & Kaicker, Nidhi, 2013.
"Food subsidy, income transfer and the poor: A comparative analysis of the public distribution system in India's states,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 887-908.
- Raghbendra Jha & Raghav Gaiha & Manoj K. Pandey & Nidhi Kaicker, 2011. "Food Subsidy, Income Transfer and the Poor: A Comparative Analysis of the Public Distribution System in India's States," ASARC Working Papers 2011-16, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Roberts, Mark & Deichmann, Uwe & Fingleton, Bernard & Shi, Tuo, 2012. "Evaluating China's road to prosperity: A new economic geography approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 580-594.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.