International food prices and poverty in Indonesia
AbstractThis paper argues that recent increases in international food prices worsened poverty incidence in Indonesia, even though many poor farmers benefited. This conclusion is based on the application of a multi-sectoral, multihousehold general equilibrium model of the Indonesian economy. The positive effect on the welfare of poor farmers was exceeded by the negative effect on poor consumers. Indonesia’s ban on rice imports since 2004 complicates this account. The import ban shielded Indonesia’s internal rice market from the temporary world price increases from 2007 to 2008, but did so at the expense of permanently increasing both rice prices and poverty incidence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2009-19.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Indonesia; food prices; poverty incidence; general equilibrium modeling;
Other versions of this item:
- Warr, Peter G. & Yusuf, Arief Anshory, 2010. "International food prices and poverty in Indonesia," 2010 Conference (54th), February 10-12, 2010, Adelaide, Australia 59259, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-12-19 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-12-19 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2009-12-19 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Warr, 2008. "World food prices and poverty incidence in a food exporting country: a multihousehold general equilibrium analysis for Thailand," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 525-537, November.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Cahiers de recherche 9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Yusuf, Arief Anshory, 2006.
"Constructing Indonesian Social Accounting Matrix for Distributional Analysis in the CGE Modelling Framework,"
1730, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2006. "Constructing Indonesian Social Accounting Matrix for Distributional Analysis in the CGE Modelling Framework," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 200604, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Nov 2006.
- Warr, Peter G., 2005.
"Food policy and poverty in Indonesia: a general equilibrium analysis,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(4), December.
- Peter Warr, 2005. "Food Policy And Poverty In Indonesia: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Departmental Working Papers 2005-03, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Fane, George & Warr, Peter G., 2002. "How Economic Growth Reduces Poverty: A General Equilibrium Analysis for Indonesia," Working Papers UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mark Horridge, 2000. "ORANI-G: A General Equilibrium Model of the Australian Economy," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-93, Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- George Fane & Peter Warr, 2008. "Agricultural Protection In Indonesia," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 44(1), pages 133-150.
- Teguh, Dartanto, 2010. "Volatility of world rice prices, import tariffs and poverty in Indonesia: a CGE-microsimulation analysis," MPRA Paper 31451, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Warr, Peter G., 2012. "Research and agricultural productivity in Indonesia," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124475, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.