The Spatial Distribution of Rural Poverty in the Last Three Quinquennial Rounds of NSS
AbstractThe spatial distribution of poverty in India has emerged as a matter of urgent concern in recent times. Although much of this analysis has concentrated on the poverty experiences of states, there is considerable evidence of wide variations within states particularly, but not exclusively, the larger ones. This paper presents evidence on the poverty experiences of 75 NSS regions for the quinquennial rounds of 1987-88, 1993-94 and 1999-2000. The results presented here facilitate easy identification of lagging areas on which anti poverty policy must concentrate. Furthermore, regional inequality in the incidence of poverty has persisted over time. The economic reforms program has been unable to make any significant dent on the spatial distribution of expenditure poverty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre in its series ASARC Working Papers with number 2003-02.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-31 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raghbendra Jha, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Calorie Deficiency in Rural India in the Last Three Quinquennial Rounds of NSS," ASARC Working Papers 2003-05, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Amita Shah, 2010. "Natural Resources and Chronic Poverty in India: A Review of Issues and Evidence," Working Papers id:2773, eSocialSciences.
- Amita Shah, 2008. "Patterns, Processes of Reproduction, and Policy Imperatives for Poverty in Remote Rural Areas: A Case Study of Southern Orissa in India," Working Papers id:1656, eSocialSciences.
- Raghbendra Jha, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Protein Deficiency in Rural India in the Last Three Quinquennial Rounds of NSS," ASARC Working Papers 2003-04, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.