On the potential pitfalls in estimating convergence by means of pooled and panel data
AbstractWe show that the use of pooled and panel data in estimating convergence across countries (or other territorial areas) may involve some pitfalls since this type of data cannot properly distinguish between actual convergence and the possibility of decreasing growth rates over time within each country (or geographical unit). We also show how the possible bias in the estimates can be eliminated.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy) in its series Economics Department Working Papers with number 2004-EP02.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Convergence; growth; panel data; pooling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O49 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-11-30 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carluccio Bianchi & Federica Calidoni & Mario Menegatti, 2009.
"Pitfalls in estimating β-convergence by means of panel data: an empirical test,"
International Review of Economics,
Springer, vol. 56(4), pages 347-357, December.
- Carluccio Bianchi & Federica Calidoni & Mario Menegatti, 2009. "Pitfalls In Estimating ß-Convergence By Means Of Panel Data: An Empirical Test," Quaderni di Dipartimento 102, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Basturk, N. & Paap, R. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2010. "Financial Development and Convergence Clubs," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-52, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- De Siano, Rita & D'Uva, Marcella, 2009. "Regional convergence in Italy: time series approaches," MPRA Paper 20397, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Lasagni).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.