2009 Precision Agricultural Services Dealership Survey Results
AbstractIn the spring of 2009, Crop Life magazine and Purdue University’s Center for Food and Agricultural Business conducted a survey of crop input dealers for the 14th consecutive year. In February, a questionnaire was mailed to 2500 Crop Life retail crop input dealership readers across the US. (See Appendix I to this report for a copy of the questionnaire.) A total of 258 questionnaires were returned, with 241 being usable. This provided an effective response rate of 9.6 percent, the lowest response rate in the 14 year history of the project. (In prior years, response rates have ranged from a high of 38 percent in 1996 to a low of 11 percent in 2001 and 2008.) Consistent with previous surveys, dealerships were asked questions about the types of precision services they offer and/or use in their businesses, how quickly their customers are adopting precision agriculture practices, and how profitable they are finding precision services to be in their businesses. This year additional questions were asked about the current barriers to adoption in terms of customers, dealers and technology, and their view on what future development in precision technology services would have the most impact on their business. Also explored this year were retailer-manufacturer roles and the changes expected over the next 2 to 3 years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics in its series Working Papers with number 09-16.
Length: 64 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
precision agriculture; geographic information systems (GIS); crop input dealer; variable rate application; site-specific agriculture; technology adoption;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L84 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Personal, Professional, and Business Services
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & English, Burton C. & Harper, David C. & Larkin, Sherry L. & Larson, James A. & Mooney, Daniel F. & Roberts, Roland K. & Velandia, Margarita & Reeves, Jeanne M., 2014. "Adoption and Frequency of Precision Soil Testing in Cotton Production," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(1), April.
- Smith, Craig M. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C. & Kastens, Terry & Kastens, Dietrich & Smith, Logan, 2013. "Economics of Precision Agricultural Technologies Across the Great Plains," Journal of the ASFMRA, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Weber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.