Monetary Policy, Inflation Expectations and the Price Puzzle
AbstractThis paper re-examines the VAR evidence on the price puzzle and proposes a new theoretical interpretation. Using actual data and two identification strategies based on zero restrictions and model-consistent sign restrictions, we find that the positive response of prices to a monetary policy shock is historically limited to the sub-samples that are typically associated with a weak interest rate response to inflation. Using pseudo data generated by a sticky price model of the U.S. economy, we then show that the structural VARs are capable of reproducing the price puzzle only when monetary policy is passive. The omission in the VARs of a variable capturing expected inflation is found to account for the price puzzle observed in simulated and actual data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno" in its series "Marco Fanno" Working Papers with number 0101.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Efrem Castelnuovo & Paolo Surico, 2010. "Monetary Policy, Inflation Expectations and The Price Puzzle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(549), pages 1262-1283, December.
- Castelnuovo, Efrem & Surico, Paolo, 2009. "Monetary policy, inflation expectations and the price puzzle," Research Discussion Papers 30/2009, Bank of Finland.
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-09-26 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2009-09-26 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-09-26 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leonardo Melosi, 2011. "Public's Inflation Expectations and Monetary Policy," 2011 Meeting Papers 1151, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guido Ascari & Efrem Castelnuovo & Lorenza Rossi, 2010.
"Calvo vs. Rotemberg in a Trend Inflation World: An Empirical Investigation,"
Quaderni di Dipartimento
108, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Ascari, Guido & Castelnuovo, Efrem & Rossi, Lorenza, 2011. "Calvo vs. Rotemberg in a trend inflation world: An empirical investigation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 1852-1867.
- Guido Ascari & Efrem Castelnuovo & Lorenza Rossi, 2010. "Calvo vs. Rotemberg in a Trend Inflation World: An Empirical Investigation," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0116, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Christiane Baumeister & Philip Liu & Haroon Mumtaz, 2012.
"Changes in the Effects of Monetary Policy on Disaggregate Price Dynamics,"
12-13, Bank of Canada.
- Baumeister, Christiane & Liu, Philip & Mumtaz, Haroon, 2013. "Changes in the effects of monetary policy on disaggregate price dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 543-560.
- Leonardo Melosi, 2012.
"Signaling effects of monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
WP-2012-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marek Rusnak & Tomas Havranek & Roman Horvath, 2013.
"How to Solve the Price Puzzle? A Meta‐Analysis,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 45(1), pages 37-70, 02.
- Marek Rusnák & Tomáš Havránek & Roman Horváth, 2011. "How to Solve the Price Puzzle? A Meta-Analysis," Working Papers IES 2011/24, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jul 2011.
- Marek Rusnak & Tomas Havranek & Roman Horvath, 2011. "How to Solve the Price Puzzle? A Meta-Analysis," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp446, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Marek Rusnak & Tomas Havranek & Roman Horvath, 2011. "How to Solve the Price Puzzle? A Meta-Analysis," Working Papers 2011/02, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Çatık, A. Nazif & Martin, Christopher, 2012. "Macroeconomic transitions and the transmission mechanism: Evidence from Turkey," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1440-1449.
- Javid, Muhammad & Munir, Kashif, 2011.
"The price puzzle and monetary policy transmission mechanism in Pakistan: Structural vector autoregressive approach,"
30670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad Javid & Kashif Munir, 2010. "The Price Puzzle and Monetary Policy Transmission Mechanism in Pakistan: Structural Vector Autoregressive Approach," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 49(4), pages 449â460.
- Héctor M. Zárate Solano & Norberto Rodríguez Niño & Margarita Marín Jaramillo, 2012.
"El tamaño de las empresas y la transmisión de la política monetaria en Colombia: una aplicación con la encuesta mensual de expectativas económicas,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009823, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Héctor M. Zárate Solano & Norberto Rodríguez Niño & Margarita Marín Jaramillo, 2012. "El tamaño de las empresas y la transmisión de la política monetaria en Colombia: una aplicación con la encuesta mensual de expectativas económicas," Borradores de Economia 721, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009. "Assessing the transmission of monetary policy using dynamic factor models," MPRA Paper 27593, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2010.
- Roman Horváth & Michal Franta & Marek Rusnák, 2012.
"Evaluating Changes in the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in the Czech Republic,"
Working Papers IES
2012/11, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2012.
- Michal Franta & Roman Horvath & Marek Rusnak, 2011. "Evaluating Changes in the Monetary Transmission Mechanism in the Czech Republic," Working Papers 2011/13, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Kapinos, Pavel, 2011. "Forward-looking monetary policy and anticipated shocks to inflation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 620-633.
- Thanassis Kazanas & Apostolis Philippopoulos & Elias Tzavalis, 2011. "Monetary Policy Rules And Business Cycle Conditions," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(s2), pages 73-97, 09.
- Shuyun May Li & Roshan Perera & Kalvinder Shields, 2013. "Misspecification, Identification or Measurement? Another Look at the Price Puzzle," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1169, The University of Melbourne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Maria Manenti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.