The strategic bequest motive: evidence from SHARE
AbstractThis paper examines whether the empirical evidence supports the strategic bequest motive, as opposed to pure altruism, using SHARE data on ten European countries. The availability of internationally comparable data, as in SHARE, allows exploiting the cross-country variability in inheritance laws and cultural backgrounds to identify the operation of a strategic bequest motive determining the attention that adult children provide to their elderly parents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno" in its series "Marco Fanno" Working Papers with number 0062.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
intergenerational transfers; strategic bequest; inheritance laws; multiple imputation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2008-01-05 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-01-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2008.
"Do the elderly reduce housing equity? An international comparison,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/20, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Maria Chiuri & Tullio Jappelli, 2010. "Do the elderly reduce housing equity? An international comparison," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 643-663, March.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Tullio Jappelli, 2006. "Do the elderly reduce housing equity? An international comparison," CSEF Working Papers 158, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Steven F. Venti & David A. Wise, 2001.
"Aging and Housing Equity: Another Look,"
NBER Working Papers
8608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Renuka Sane & Susan Thomas, 2013. "In search of inclusion: informal sector participation in a voluntary, defined contribution pension system," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2013-022, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Elinder, Mikael & Erixson, Oscar & Ohlsson, Henry, 2011.
"Carnegie visits Nobel: Do inheritances affect labor and capital income?,"
Working Paper Series
2011:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Elinder Mikael & Erixson Oscar & Ohlsson Henry, 2012. "The Impact of Inheritances on Heirs' Labor and Capital Income," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-37, December.
- Elinder, Mikael & Erixson, Oscar & Ohlsson, Henry, 2010. "The Effect of Inheritance Receipt on Labor and Capital Income: Evidence from Swedish Panel Data," Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies 2010:3, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Giacomo Pasini & Rob Alessie & Viola Angelini, 2011. "Is it true love? Altruism versus exchange in time and money transfers," Working Papers 2011_27, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Norifumi Yukutake & Shinichiro Iwata & Takako Idee, 2011. "Strategic Interaction between Inter Vivos Gifts and Housing Acquisition," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd11-201, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Annika Meng, 2009. "Do Parents Buy Their Children's Attention?," Ruhr Economic Papers 0153, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Maria Manenti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.