The reconstruction of a macroeconomic dataset for Uganda
AbstractThis paper is an account of the re-construction of a macroeconomic dataset for Uganda. The sources of data, the splicing together of consumer price indices and interpolation of missing quarterly observations, the interpolation of quarterly GDP and the estimation of quarterly monetary GDY and GDE, are described. The resulting dataset (which is presented in an appendix) is then used to highlight the collapse in GDP, change in the structure of production and de-monetisation which resulted from insecurity, and more recent macroeconomic stability and re-monetisation. The final section of the paper discusses some of the time-series characteristics of the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number WPS/1998-03.
Date of creation: 01 May 1997
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bevan, David & Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan Willem, 1990. "Peasants and Governments: An Economic Analysis," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286219.
- Deaton, Angus & Miller, Ron, 1996.
"International Commodity Prices, Macroeconomic Performance and Politics in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 5(3), pages 99-191, October.
- Deaton, A-S & Miller, R-I, 1995. "International Commodity Prices, Macroeconomic Performance, and Politics in Sub-Saharan Africa," Princeton Studies in International Economics 79, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Milton Friedman, 1962. "The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie62-1, December.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2005.
"Price Transmission and Trader Entry in Domestic Commodity Markets,"
Economics Series Working Papers
GPRG-WPS-038, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2008. "Price Transmission and Trader Entry in Domestic Commodity Markets," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 729-766.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.