Quality Control in Non-Staple Food Markets: Evidence from India
AbstractUsing original survey data collected on growers, traders, processors, markets, and village communities, we will compare the situation in four states - Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Orissa. We examine the way that information about crop attributes is conveyed (or not) along the value chain. We also document the infrastructures available at the level of the market. We find that little information circulates about unobservable crop characteristics. Growers receive a price premium when they dry, grade and pack their produce, but we find no evidence that information about crop salubrity or agricultural practices circulates through the value chain or that growers are encouraged to follow specific agricultural practices for quality purposes. Market infrastructure is deficient regarding sanitation, with few public toilets, inadequate drainage, and no coordinated pest control.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number GPRG-WPS-057.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill & Bart Minten, 2008. "Quality control in nonstaple food markets: evidence from India," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 251-266, 05.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Vargas Hill, Ruth & Minten, Bart, 2007. "Quality control in non-staple food markets: Evidence from India," IFPRI discussion papers 717, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ags:aaea13:150001 is not listed on IDEAS
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2010. "Food Prices and Modern Retail: The Case of Delhi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1775-1787, December.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin, 2007.
"Agricultural Markets in Benin and Malawi,"
Economics Series Working Papers
GPRG-WPS-068, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z., 2006. "Agricultural markets in Benin and Malawi," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 1(1), December.
- Jano, Pilar & Hueth, Brent, 2013. "Quality Incentives in Informal Markets: The Case of Ecuadorian Cocoa," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150378, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.