When does the Oil Price Affect the Norwegian Exchange Rate?
AbstractMajor changes in the Norwegian exchange rate have often coincided with large fluctuations in the price of crude oil. Previous empirical studies have however suggested a weak and ambiguous relation between the oil price and the exchange rate. In contrast to these studies, this paper explores the possibility of a non-linear relation between oil prices and the exchange rate. An examination of daily observations reveals a negative relation between the oil price and the nominal value of the currency. The strength of this relation depends on whether the oil price is below, inside or above the range of 14-20 US dollars a barrel. Moreover, it depends on whether the oil price is displaying a falling or rising trend. The relation is relatively strong when oil prices are below 14 dollars and are falling. These non-linear effects are tested and quantified within equilibrium correcting models of the exchange rate, derived on monthly and quarterly data to control for the influence of other macroeconomic variables. The models with non-linear oil price effects outperform similar models with linear oil price effects. The latter models grossly underestimate the exchange rate response to oil price changes in a state of low oil prices. The paper undertakes an extensive evaluation of the derived models to demonstrate the robustness of the results.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 9931.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
OIL PRICES ; EXCHANGE RATE ; ECONOMETRIC MODELS;
Other versions of this item:
- Qaisar Farooq Akram, 2000. "When Does the Oil Price Affect the Norwegian Exchange Rate?," Economics Series Working Papers 31, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gunnar Bardsen & Eilev S. Jansen & Ragnar Nymoen, 2003.
"Econometric inflation targeting,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(2), pages 430-461, December.
- Luc Bauwens & Dagfinn Rime & Genaro Sucarrat, 2006.
"Exchange rate volatility and the mixture of distribution hypothesis,"
Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 889-911, January.
- BAUWENS, Luc & RIME, Dagfinn & SUCARRAT, Genaro, 2005. "Exchange rate volatility and the mixture of distribution hypothesis," CORE Discussion Papers 2005058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc, BAUWENS & Dagfinn, RIME & Genaro, SUCARRAT, 2005. "Exchange Rate Volatility and the Mixture of Distribution Hypothesis," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005043, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BAUWENS, Luc & RIME, Dagfinn & SUCARRAT, Genaro, . "Exchange rate volatility and the mixture of distribution hypothesis," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1788, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bowe, Michael & Saltvedt, Thina M., 2004. "Currency invoicing practices, exchange rate volatility and pricing-to-market: evidence from product level data," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 281-308, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.