Economic Growth, Economic Reform anf Rising Inequality in China
AbstractThe paper analyses two cross-section national household surveys, relating to the years 1988 and 1995, to explain the rise in inequality of income that occured in Chine over those seven years. The Gini coefficient of household income per capita increased from 38 to 45 per cent, i.e. by 1,0 percentage points per annum. Owing to the sharp institutional and economic devide betweeen rural and urban China, the rural and urban samples are analysed separately. The two main explanations for the rise in inequality are economic growth and economic transition.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 99210.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
ECONOMIC GROWTH ; INCOME ; INEQUALITY ; CHINA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kang, Lili & Peng, Fei, 2013. "Economic Reform and Productivity Convergence in China," MPRA Paper 50810, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Uchimura, Hiroko, 2005. "Influence of Social Institutions on Inequality in China," IDE Discussion Papers, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) 26, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Bishop, John A. & Chiou, Jong-Rong, 2004. "Economic transformation and earnings inequality in China and Taiwan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 549-562, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.