Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices- A Disaggregated Study
AbstractThe paper explores the role of innovation in the determination of both net exports and export prices. The analysis is conducted for 36 industry groups covering both manufacturers and services in the UK. The data are annual time series and these are analysed using the techniques of cointegration to establish the existence of significant time-series relationships between innovation and trade performance. Alternative econometric estimates of these relationships were obtained for 24 manufacturing industries using patents as the indicator of scientific advance and rising product quality in place of innovations. Patents provide a measure of relative technological performance of the United Kingdom, but for a smaller range of economic activities. The empirical findings support the view that successful R&D (which can raise product quality or reduce production costs) and good industrial relations (which improve a reliability of supply) have quantitatively significant impacts on the balance of trade in a variety of industries and services. Our findings also raise concern over issues of measurement quality for the monitoring of both input to and outputs from the R&D production process, which is critical for designing policy to improve performance.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 99107.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 1991
Date of revision:
innovations ; international trade ; economic models;
Other versions of this item:
- Greenhalgh, Christine & Taylor, Paul & Wilson, Rob, 1994. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices--A Disaggregated Study," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 102-35, January.
- Greenhalgh, Christine Anne & Taylor, Paul, 1990. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices: A Disaggregated Study," CEPR Discussion Papers 487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.