The Belle Epoque of International Finance.Â French Capital Exports, 1880-1914
AbstractThis paper introduces a new dataset of French investments in foreign securities.� This is the most detailed data available to date.� The data is used to study the composition, valuation, and total return of the French portfolio of non-sovereign foreign securities on the 34 years before World War 1.� Additional insights are obtained about the structure of the financial market in France.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 534.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
France; pre-1914; foreign portfolio investment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- N23 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: Pre-1913
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Livia Chițu & Barry Eichengreen & Arnaud J. Mehl, 2013.
"History, Gravity and International Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
18697, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rui P. Esteves, 2011.
"The Political Economy of Global Financial Liberalisation in Historical Perspective,"
Oxford University Economic and Social History Series
_089, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Rui Esteves, 2011. "The Political Economy of Global Financial Liberalisation in Historical Perspective," Economics Series Working Papers Number 89, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.