Two sided analysis of variance with a latent time series
AbstractMany real life regression problems exhibit some kind of calender time dependency and it is often of interest to predict the behavior of the regression function along this calender time direction. This can be formulated as a regression model with an added latent time series and the task is to be able to analyse this series. In this paper we engage this through a two step procedure, firstly we treat the time dependent elements as parameters and estimate them in the two-sided analysis of variance setup, secondly we use the estimated time series as predictor of the latent time series. An application to risk theory is discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 2004-W25.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Regression; Time Series; Risk Theory;
Other versions of this item:
- Lars Hougaard Hansen & Bent Nielsen & Jens Perch Nielsen, 2004. "Two sided analysis of variance with a latent time series," Economics Papers 2004-W25, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nielsen, B., 1995.
"Bartlett Correction of the Unit Root test in Autoregressive Models,"
98, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bent Nielsen, 1995. "Bartlett correction of the unit root test in autoregressive models," Economics Papers 11 & 98., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Lucrezia Reichlin & Marco Lippi, 2000.
"The generalised dynamic factor model: identification and estimation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10143, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2000. "The Generalized Dynamic-Factor Model: Identification And Estimation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 540-554, November.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999. "The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Lai, T. L. & Wei, C. Z., 1983. "Asymptotic properties of general autoregressive models and strong consistency of least-squares estimates of their parameters," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Bent Nielsen, 1999.
"The Asymptotic Distribution of Unit Root Tests of Unstable Autoregressive Processes,"
Economics Series Working Papers
1999-W19, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nielsen, Bent, 2001. "The Asymptotic Distribution of Unit Root Tests of Unstable Autoregressive Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 211-19, January.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007.
"Efficient Estimation of a SemiparametricCharacteristic-Based Factor Model of Security Returns,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2007/524, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Gregory Connor & Oliver Linton & Matthias Hagmann, 2007. "Efficient Estimation of a Semiparametric Characteristic-Based Factor Model of Security Returns," FMG Discussion Papers dp599, Financial Markets Group.
- Gregory Connor & Matthias Hagmann & Oliver Linton, 2007. "Efficient Estimation of a Semiparametric Characteristic- Based Factor Model of Security Returns," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 07-26, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Szymon Borak & Wolfgang Härdle & Enno Mammen & Byeong U. Park, 2007.
"Time Series Modelling with Semiparametric Factor Dynamics,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2007-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Park, Byeong U. & Mammen, Enno & HÃ¤rdle, Wolfgang & Borak, Szymon, 2009. "Time Series Modelling With Semiparametric Factor Dynamics," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 284-298.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.