The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom
AbstractThis paper gives a non-fixed point theoretic proof of equilibrium existence when the excess demand function of an exchange economy obeys the weak axiom. The proof is simple and geometrically intuitive, and it also permits a weakening of the continuity assumption on the excess demand function. (This paper is a more developed and (one hopes) improved version of an earlier working paper entitled An Elementary Equilibrium Existence Theorem, Working Paper W6 (2000), Nuffield College, Oxford.)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 2004-W07.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
weak axiom; Gale-Nikaido-Debreu Lemma; existence of equilibrium; violations of transitivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Quah, John K.-H., 2008. "The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3-4), pages 337-343, February.
- John K.-H. Quah, 2004. "The existence of equilibrium when excess demand obeys the weak axiom," Economics Papers 2004-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhard John, 1999. "Abraham Wald's equilibrium existence proof reconsidered," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 417-428.
- John K.-H. Quah, 2000.
"The Weak Axiom and Comparative Statics,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0437, Econometric Society.
- Michael Jerison, 1998.
"Dispersed Excess Demands, the Weak Axiom and Uniqueness of Equilibrium,"
98-03, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Jerison, Michael, 1999. "Dispersed excess demands, the weak axiom and uniqueness of equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 15-48, February.
- Barbolla, Rosa & Corchon, Luis C, 1989.
"An Elementary Proof of the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium in a Special Case,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 385-89, May.
- Corchón, Luis C. & Barbolla, R., . "An Elementary Proof of the Existence of a Competitive Equilibrium in a Special Case," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3819, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- John Quah, 2006.
"Weak axiomatic demand theory,"
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 677-699, November.
- John H. Nachbar, 2002. "General Equilibrium Comparative Statics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2065-2074, September.
- Quah, John K. -H., 2003. "Market demand and comparative statics when goods are normal," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 317-333, June.
- Shafer, Wayne J, 1974. "The Nontransitive Consumer," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 913-19, September.
- Nachbar, John H., 2004. "General equilibrium comparative statics: discrete shocks in production economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 153-163, February.
- Michael Jerison & John K.-H. Quah, 2006. "Law of Demand," Discussion Papers 06-07, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- John K.-H. Quah, 1997. "The Law of Demand when Income Is Price Dependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1421-1442, November.
- Mackowiak, Piotr, 2010.
"The existence of equilibrium without fixed-point arguments,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1194-1199, November.
- Maćkowiak, Piotr, 2010. "The existence of equilibrium without fixed-point arguments," MPRA Paper 42044, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Sep 2010.
- Ruscitti, Francesco, 2012. "On the boundary behavior of the excess demand function," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 371-374.
- John Quah, 2000.
"Weak Axiomatic Demand Theory,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2000-W12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Frayssé, Jean, 2009. "A simple proof of the existence of an equilibrium when the weak axiom holds," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(11), pages 767-769, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.