Multidimensional Inequality Measurement: A Proposal
AbstractTwo essential intuitions about the concept of multidimensional inequality have been highlighted in the emerging body of literature on this subject: first, multidimensional inequality should be a function of the uniform inequality of a multivariate distribution of goods or attributes across people (Kolm, 1977); and second, it should also be a function of the cross-correlation between distributions of goods or attributes in different dimensions (Atkinson and Bourguignon, 1982; Walzer, 1983). While the first intuition has played a major role in the design of fully-fledged multidimensional inequality indices, the second one has only recently received attention (Tsui, 1999); and, so far, multidimensional generalized entropy measures are the only inequality measures known to respect both intuitions. The present paper proposes a general method of designing a wider range of multidimensional inequality indices that also respect both intuitions and illustrates this method by defining two classes of such indices: a generalization of the Gini coefficient, and a generalization of Atkinsons one-dimensional measure of inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 1999-W27.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 1999
Date of revision:
multidimensional inequality; multivariate majorization;
Other versions of this item:
- List, C., 1999. "Multidimensional Inequality Measurement: a Proposal," Economics Papers 9927, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thibault Gadjos & John A, Weymark, 2003.
"Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices,"
2003-16, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Thibault Gajdos & John A. Weymark, 2003. "Multidimensional generalized Gini indices," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 16-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Thibault Gajdos & John A. Weymark, 2003. "Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0311, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jul 2003.
- Thibault Gajdos & John Weymark, 2005. "Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00085881, HAL.
- Andrea Brandolini, 2008. "On applying synthetic indices of multidimensional well-being: health and income inequalities in selected EU countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 668, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2009. "Measurement of income mobility: a re-examination," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 629-645, November.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2009.
"Measuring inequality of well-being with a correlation-sensitive multidimensional Gini index,"
124, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Maria Ana Lugo & Koen Decancq, 2009. "Measuring Inequality of Well-Being with a Correlation-Sensitive Multidimensional Gini Index," Economics Series Working Papers 459, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Henar Diez & Mª Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Marta Urrutia, 2007. "Unit-Consistent Aggregative Multidimensional Inequality Measures: A Characterization," Working Papers 66, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- John A. Weymark, 2003. "The Normative Approach to the Measurement of Multidimensional Inequality," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0314, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jan 2004.
- Ma Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia & Amaia de Sarachu, 2008.
"Characterizing multidimensional inequality measures which fulfil the Pigou-Dalton bundle principle,"
99, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia & Amaia Sarachu, 2010. "Characterizing multidimensional inequality measures which fulfil the Pigou–Dalton bundle principle," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 319-329, July.
- Barry C. Arnold, 2005. "Inequality measures for multivariate distributions," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 317-327.
- Banerjee, Asis Kumar, 2010. "A multidimensional Gini index," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 87-93, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.