Limitations of the relative standard deviation of win percentages for measuring competitive balance in sports leagues
AbstractThe relative standard deviation of win percentages, the most widely used measure of within-season competitive balance, has an upper bound which is very sensitive to variation in the numbers of teams and games played. Taking into account this upper bound provides additional insight into comparisons of competitive balance across leagues or over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Otago, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0908.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision: Mar 2010
Competitive balance; Relative standard deviation; Idealized standard deviation;
Other versions of this item:
- Owen, P. Dorian, 2010. "Limitations of the relative standard deviation of win percentages for measuring competitive balance in sports leagues," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 38-41, October.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oscar Bajo & Rafael Salas, 1999.
"Inequality Foundations of Concentration Measures: An Application to the Hannah-Kay Indices,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra
9901, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Oscar Bajo & Rafael Salas, 2002. "Inequality foundations of concentration measures: An application to the Hannah-Kay indices," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 311-316.
- P. Owen & Michael Ryan & Clayton Weatherston, 2007. "Measuring Competitive Balance in Professional Team Sports Using the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 289-302, December.
- Joshua Utt & Rodney Fort, 2002. "Pitfalls to Measuring Competitive Balance With Gini Coefficients," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(4), pages 367-373, November.
- repec:qut:auncer:2013_04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Young Hoon Lee & Rodney Fort, 2011. "Competitive Balance:Time Series Lessons from the English Premier League," Working Papers 1102, Research Institute for Market Economy, Sogang University, revised Jun 2011.
- P Dorian Owen & Nicholas King, 2013.
"Competitive Balance Measures in Sports Leagues: The Effects of Variation in Season Length,"
NCER Working Paper Series
92, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- P. Dorian Owen & Nicholas King, 2013. "Competitive Balance Measures in Sports Leagues: The Effects of Variation in Season Length," Working Papers 1309, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2013.
- P Dorian Owen, 2010.
"Measuring Parity in Sports Leagues with Draws: Further Comments,"
NCER Working Paper Series
59, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- P. Dorian Owen, 2010. "Measuring Parity in Sports Leagues with Draws: Further Comments," Working Papers 1005, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2010.
- P. Dorian Owen, 2013. "Measurement of Competitive Balance and Uncertainty of Outcome," Working Papers 1311, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Steffen Lippert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.