Test of Unbiasedness of the Integrated Covariance Estimation in the Presence of Noise
AbstractThe cumulative covariance estimator in Hayashi and Yoshida (2005b) which suits for non-synchronous observations possibly has a bias in the presence of the observational noise. We propose the test statistic to detect whether the observational noise causes a measurable bias in the estimator of Hayashi and Yoshida (2005b). The test statistic proposed in this paper is asymptotically distributed as standard normal under null hypothesis. The finite sample performance of the test statistic is investigated through Monte Carlo simulation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP) in its series Discussion Papers in Economics and Business with number 07-03.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
test statistic; integrated covariance; non-synchronous observation; observational noise; market microstructure noise;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- D49 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-02-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MST-2007-02-10 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valeri Voev & Asger Lunde, 2007. "Integrated Covariance Estimation using High-frequency Data in the Presence of Noise," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(1), pages 68-104.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Lan Zhang & Per A. Mykland & Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 2003.
"A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility with Noisy High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
10111, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Lan & Mykland, Per A. & Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 2005. "A Tale of Two Time Scales: Determining Integrated Volatility With Noisy High-Frequency Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1394-1411, December.
- Toshiya Hoshikawa & Keiji Nagai & Taro Kanatani & Yoshihiko Nishiyama, 2008. "Nonparametric Estimation Methods of Integrated Multivariate Volatilities," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1-3), pages 112-138.
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Paul Malliavin, 2002. "Fourier series method for measurement of multivariate volatilities," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-61.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "ARCH models as diffusion approximations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Barucci, Emilio & Reno, Roberto, 2002. "On measuring volatility of diffusion processes with high frequency data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 371-378, February.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:36:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andersen T. G & Bollerslev T. & Diebold F. X & Labys P., 2001. "The Distribution of Realized Exchange Rate Volatility," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 42-55, March.
- Taro Kanatani, 2007. "Finite Sample Analysis of Weighted Realized Covariance with Noisy Asynchronous Observations," KIER Working Papers 634, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.