Externalities and the UK Regional Divide in Innovative Behaviour
AbstractThis empirical paper investigates the impact of different sources of increasing returns on firm innovative behaviour in two regions of the UK in the period of the 1990s when the new economy is believed to have emerged. We pay particular attention to the impact of the intermediation in the form of the emergence of a market for specialised business services as a possible externality that influences regional innovation. Other influences on regional innovation such as knowledge spillovers due to public R&D in UK counties and dynamic economics to scale due to learning weithin a firm are also considered.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics in its series Open Discussion Papers in Economics with number 35.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
Web page: http://www.open.ac.uk/socialsciences/about-the-faculty/departments/economics/research/discussion-papers.php
More information through EDIRC
Increasing returns and innovation; specialised markets; public R&D; innovation by firms; regional innovation; regional development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- R3 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IT team member).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.