Financial Networks, Cross Holdings, and Limited Liability
AbstractI discuss a network of banks which are linked with each other by financial obligations and cross holdings. Given an initial endowment the value of the obligations and the equity values of the banks are determined endogenously in a way consistent with the priority of debt and the limited liability of equity. Even though neither equity values nor debt values are necessarily unique the value of debt and equity holdings of outside investors is uniquely determined. An algorithm to calculate debt and equity values is developed. JEL classification: G21, G33;
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its series Working Papers with number 156.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 29 May 2009
Date of revision:
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Economic Studies Division, c/o Beate Hofbauer-Berlakovich, POB 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-07-11 (Banking)
- NEP-NET-2009-07-11 (Network Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2009-07-11 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sabine Karl & Tom Fischer, 2013. "Cross-Ownership as a Structural Explanation for Over- and Underestimation of Default Probability," Papers 1301.6069, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Knell and Helmut Stix).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.