Analysis of Non-Tariff Barriers of Concern to Developing Countries
AbstractThis paper identifies non-tariff barriers (NTBs) faced by developing countries in their trade with developed countries and in South-South trade. The goal is to raise awareness of barriers that interfere with the ability of developing countries to build up trade. Data collected and analysed consist of the academic literature, notifications by developing countries to the Negotiating Group on Market Access for Non- Agricultural Products (NAMA) of the Doha Development Agenda, business surveys, and records relating to trade disputes brought before the World Trade Organization and regional dispute settlement mechanisms. The chapter identifies the categories and types of measures that are most reported and the products affected by the reported measures. Attention is also drawn to developing countries’ forwardlooking export strategies and related potential barriers. Overall, the chapter highlights similarities and differences in barriers reported in the data reviewed and compares barriers reported for trade with developed countries and for trade among developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Trade Policy Papers with number 16.
Date of creation: 03 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
market access; south-south trade; surveys; non-tariff measures; trade disputes; NAMA notifications; regional integration; non-tariff barriers; developing countries; Doha Development Agenda;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2005-10-15 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2005-10-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2005-10-22 (International Trade)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Biswajit Dhar & Murali Kallummal, 2007. "Taming non-tariff barriers - Can the World Trade organization find a solution?," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, in: Mia Mikic (ed.), FUTURE TRADE RESEARCH AREAS THAT MATTER TO DEVELOPING COUNTRY POLICYMAKERS, volume 61, chapter 5, pages 131-171 United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Uttam Kumar Deb, 2006. "Rules of Origin and Non-Tariff Barriers in Agricultural Trade: Perspectives from Bangladesh and Cambodia," Working Papers 1206, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Israel, Danilo C., 2014. "The Potential Impacts of a Free Trade Agreement with the European Union on the Philippine Fisheries Sector," Discussion Papers DP 2014-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Okumu, Luke & Nyankori, James Cyprian Okuk, 2010. "Non-tariff barriers in EAC customs union: implications for trade between Uganda and other EAC countries," Research Series 113621, Economic Policy Research Centre (EPRC).
- Liu, Lan & Yue, Chengyan, 2013. "Investigating the impacts of time delays on trade," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 108-114.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.