The Changing Nature of Manufacturing in OECD Economies
AbstractThis paper provides empirical evidence on the changing nature of manufacturing in OECD countries, including the continued loss of employment in the manufacturing. It examines the extent to which manufacturing output and employment are declining in OECD countries and explores possible causes, including increased productivity, slow growth in demand for manufacturing products, loss of markets to imports, statistical and classification issues, and so on. The paper finds that the share of manufacturing in OECD economies is declining and argues that this is likely to continue. It also presents...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers with number 2006/9.
Date of creation: 27 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-02-17 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2007-02-17 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2007-02-17 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dachs, Bernhard & Biege, Sabine & Borowiecki, Marcin & Lay, Gunther & Jäger, Angela & Schartinger, Doris, 2012. "The Servitization of European Manufacturing Industries," MPRA Paper 38873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oberhofer, Harald & Vincelette, Gallina A, 2013. "Determinants of job creation in eleven new EU member states : evidence from firm level data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6533, The World Bank.
- Christensen, Jesper Lindgaard, 2013. "The ability of current statistical classifications to separate services and manufacturing," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 47-60.
- World Bank, 2012. "EU11 Regular Economic Report : Coping with External Headwinds," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11896, The World Bank.
- Elena Sochirca & Pedro Mazeda Gil & Oscar Afonso, 2013.
"Technology Structure and Skill Structure: Costly Investment and Complementarity Effects Quantification,"
FEP Working Papers
478, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Sochirca, Elena & Gil, Pedro Mazeda & Afonso, Oscar, 2014. "Technology structure and skill structure: Costly investment and complementarity effects quantification," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 172-189.
- Daniel Lind, 2011. "The Myths and Reality of Deindustrialization in Sweden: The Role of Productivity," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 22, pages 29-43, Fall.
- Christian Dustmann & Bernd Fitzenberger & Uta Schönberg & Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2014.
"From Sick Man of Europe to Economic Superstar: Germany's Resurgent Economy,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
1406, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Christian Dustmann & Bernd Fitzenberger & Uta Sch?nberg & Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2014. "From Sick Man of Europe to Economic Superstar: Germany's Resurgent Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 167-88, Winter.
- Francesca Barbiero & Michael Blanga-Gubbay & Valeria Cipollone & Koen De Backer & SÃ©bastien Miroudot & Alexandros Ragoussis & AndrÃ© Sapir & Reinhilde Veugelers & Erkki VihriÃ¤lÃ¤ & Guntram B, . "Manufacturing Europeâ??s future," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 795, October.
- Gotsch, Matthias & Hipp, Christiane & Gallego, J. & Rubalcaba, L., 2011. "Sectoral innovation performance in the knowledge intensive services," Working Paper Series 11, Brandenburg University of Technology (BTU Cottbus), Chair of Organization, Human Resource & General Management.
- Bartleet, Matthew & Iyer, Kris & Lawrence, Gillian & Numan-Parsons, Elisabeth & Stroombergen, Adolf, 2009. "Impact of emissions pricing on New Zealand manufacturing: A short-run analysis," Occasional Papers 10/2, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Gabor Hunya, 2008. "Austrian FDI by main Countries and Industries," FIW Research Reports series I-015, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.