Intellectual Property Rights in International Investment Agreements: An Overview
AbstractThis article provides an overview of recent developments in investment treaty practice with regard to the protection of intellectual property rights (IPRs). The analysis departs from traditional IPR studies developed almost exclusively in the context of the WTO-TRIPS Agreement. The aim of this study is to clarify the extent to which and how international investment agreements (IIAs), including Regional Trade Agreements (RTAs) with an investment chapter, increase the scope of IPR protection beyond TRIPS minimum standards. Some IPR provisions found in the sample of RTAs extend IPR protection beyond WTO-TRIPS minimum standards, by providing supplementary coverage of specific standards or additional obligations under the intellectual property chapter. Expanded IPR protection can also derive from the unqualified treatment protection provisions found in IIAs. This note further explores possible reasons for the limited role played by investor-state arbitration in the enforcement of IPRs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Working Papers on International Investment with number 2010/1.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
international investment; investment agreements; intellectual property rights;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- K33 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - International Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2010-05-29 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2010-05-29 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.