Cross Country Analysis of Farm Economic Performance
AbstractThis report analyses the farm performance data contributed through the OECD Network for Farm-level Analysis. It first compares the distribution of four economic performance indicators across nine participating countries or regions for selected farm types (output and input ratio, and net operating income per unit of labour, land and net worth). The comparative analysis shows significant differences in farm economic performances within countries as well as across countries. It implies that promoting the adoption of existing best practice and improving the resource allocation can lead to a significant improvement in the sector’s performance. The factor analysis found that large farm size is a factor of high economic performance for most types of farms across countries, but it also identified other relevant factors of high performance independent of the farm size factor, such as younger age, higher education, and use of financial leverage. See also OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers No. 46 “Distribution of support and income in agriculture” (http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5kgch21wkmbx-en).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers with number 60.
Date of creation: 22 May 2013
Date of revision:
factor analysis; producer support; off-farm income; farm size; farm performance; output and input ratio; resource allocation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-06-04 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-06-04 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carillo, Felicetta & Carillo, MariaRosaria & Venittelli, Tiziana & Zazzaro, Alberto, 1. "Aging and succession on Italian farms," Politica Agricola Internazionale - International Agricultural Policy, Edizioni L’Informatore Agrario, Edizioni L’Informatore Agrario, issue 1.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.