Distribution of Support and Income in Agriculture
AbstractAgricultural production and support in Canada, the United States, and the European Union are highly concentrated on larger farms, which have higher income levels than the average of all farms. Smaller farms, though, are more dependent on support (in particular, payments) which accounts for a larger share of their gross receipts. As payments to farmers are more equally distributed than production, government support reduces income inequality by farm size and farm type. This study, carried out in the context of the OECD Network for Farm Level Analysis, concludes that improved efficiency and equity of policies will require better targeting of income support and, in turn, better information on the income and wealth situation of the agricultural population.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers with number 46.
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
agricultural policy; agricultural support; farm wealth; targeting; distribution of support; equity; income distribution;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Severini, Simone & Tantari, Antonella, 2013. "The effect of the EU farm payments policy and its recent reform on farm income inequality," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 212-227.
- Severini, Simone & Tantari, A., 2012. "How direct payments and their reform have affected farm income inequality in Italy?," Congress Papers, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA) 124099, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.