How Does the Exchange Rate Affect the Real Economy? A Literature Survey
AbstractWe examine the relationship between exchange rate movements and the real economy – an area that has been the focus of considerable debate in recent years. We consider different concepts of exchange rate equilibrium, and review recent evidence on whether the New Zealand dollar exchange rate reflects its fundamental determinants. We also review the theoretical and empirical evidence on the relationship between movements in the exchange rate and the resulting impacts on the wider economy. We conclude that the nature of the relationship between the movements in the exchange rate and the resulting adjustment in the real economy depends on the nature of the shocks that affect the economy. This has important policy implications as policymakers need to have a clear understanding of the nature of the shock when deciding on appropriate responses. In practice, however, it is often difficult for policymakers to identify accurately the types of shocks hitting the economy, especially in real time. While the New Zealand dollar exchange rate may be overvalued at present, the equilibrium value of the exchange rate may also have risen, possibly due to higher export commodity prices. Tradable sector output growth has declined since the mid-2000s, but within the tradable sector, activity in resource-based industries has risen strongly, while manufacturing output and exports of services has declined. This is consistent with “Dutch disease” effects, as higher commodity prices lead to a crowding out of non-commodity exports. Sensitivity to exchange rate movements also varies across New Zealand’s economic sectors and industries. The agricultural sector is relatively insensitive to exchange rate movements, while the manufacturing and service sectors are more vulnerable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New Zealand Treasury in its series Treasury Working Paper Series with number 13/26.
Date of creation: Dec 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Zealand Treasury, PO Box 3724, Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Exchange Rate Valuation; Fundamentals; Equilibrium; Economic Growth; Dutch Disease;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2013-12-29 (International Trade)
- NEP-OPM-2013-12-29 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Auboin & Michele Ruta, 2012.
"The Relationship between Exchange Rates and International Trade: A Literature Review,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3868, CESifo Group Munich.
- Auboin, Marc & Ruta, Michele, 2013. "The relationship between exchange rates and international trade: a literature review," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 577-605, July.
- Lynda Sanderson, 2009. "Exchange rates and export performance: evidence from micro-data," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 72, pages 43-52, June.
- Ozer Karagedikli & Michael Ryan & Daan Steenkamp & Tugrul Vehbi, 2013. "What happens when the Kiwi flies? The sectoral effects of the exchange rate shocks," CAMA Working Papers 2013-73, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Barbara Rossi & Yu-chin Chen, 2008.
"Can Exchange Rates Forecast Commodity Prices?,"
2008 Meeting Papers
540, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Yu-chin Chen & Kenneth Rogoff & Barbara Rossi, 2010. "Can Exchange Rates Forecast Commodity Prices?," Working Papers 10-07, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Yu-chin Chen & Kenneth Rogoff & Barbara Rossi, 2008. "Can Exchange Rates Forecast Commodity Prices?," Working Papers UWEC-2008-11-FC, University of Washington, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2009.
- Chen, Yu-chin & Rogoff, Kenneth & Rossi, Barbara, 2008. "Can Exchange Rates Forecast Commodity Prices?," Working Papers 08-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Yu-Chin Chen & Kenneth Rogoff & Barbara Rossi, 2008. "Can Exchange Rates Forecast Commodity Prices?," NBER Working Papers 13901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabling, Richard & Sanderson, Lynda, 2013. "Exporting and firm performance: Market entry, investment and expansion," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 422-431.
- Haddad, Mona & Pancaro, Cosimo, 2010.
"Can Real Exchange Rate Undervaluation Boost Exports and Growth in Developing Countries? Yes, But Not for Long,"
World Bank - Economic Premise,
The World Bank, issue 20, pages 1-5, June.
- Mona Haddad & Cosimo Pancaro, 2010. "Can Real Exchange Rate Undervaluation Boost Exports and Growth in Developing Countries? Yes, But Not for Long," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10178, The World Bank.
- Arslan, Ismail & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1993. "Export Incentives, Exchange Rate Policy and Export Growth in Turkey," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 128-33, February.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Yongqing Wang, 2007. "United States-China Trade At The Commodity Level And The Yuan-Dollar Exchange Rate," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(3), pages 341-361, 07.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1995.
"Investment, Pass-Through and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
NBER Working Papers
5139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S, 1999. "Investment, Pass-Through, and Exchange Rates: A Cross-Country Comparison," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 287-314, May.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1996. "Investment, pass-through, and exchange rates: a cross-country comparison," Staff Reports 14, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Charles Engel & Kenneth D. West, 2003.
"Exchange rates and fundamentals,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Krugman, Paul, 1989. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-54, November.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Rebeca Muñoz Torres, 2011.
"The Effect of the Exchange Rates on Investment in Mexican Manufacturing Industry,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 669-683, September.
- Caglayan, Mustafa & Muñoz Torres, Rebeca I., 2008. "The Effect of the Exchange Rates on Investment in Mexican Manufacturing Industry," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 846, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ruy Lama & Juan Pablo Medina, 2012. "Is Exchange Rate Stabilization an Appropriate Cure for the Dutch Disease?," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 8(1), pages 5-46, March.
- Bergin, Paul R. & Shin, Hyung-Cheol & Tchakarov, Ivan, 2007.
"Does exchange rate variability matter for welfare? A quantitative investigation of stabilization policies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 1041-1058, May.
- Paul Bergin & Hyung-Cheol Shin & Ivan Tchakarov, 2005. "Does Exchange Rate Variability Matter for Welfare? A Quantitative Investigation of Stabilization Policies," Working Papers 512, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Richard Fabling & Arthur Grimes & Lynda Sanderson, 2012.
"Whatever next? Export market choices of New Zealand firms,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(1), pages 137-159, 03.
- Richard Fabling & Arthur Grimes & Lynda Sanderson, 2009. "Whatever next? Export market choices of New Zealand firms," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/19, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Richard Fabling & Arthur Grimes & Lynda Sanderson, 2011. "Whatever next? Export market choices of New Zealand firms," ERSA conference papers ersa10p367, European Regional Science Association.
- Peter B. Clark, 1973. "Uncertainty, Exchange Risk, And The Level Of International Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 11(3), pages 302-313, 09.
- T. W.Swan, 1960. "Economic Control In A Dependent Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 51-66, 03.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Barisone, Giacomo & Driver, Rebecca L. & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2006.
"Are our FEERs justified?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 741-759, August.
- Gianluca Benigno & Pierpaolo Benigno & Salvatore Nistic�, 2012.
"Risk, Monetary Policy, and the Exchange Rate,"
NBER Macroeconomics Annual,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 247 - 309.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder J G, 1984. "The 'Dutch Disease': A Disease after All?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 41-55, March.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ozge Senay & Alan Sutherland, 2010.
"Local Currency Pricing, Foreign Monetary Shocks and Exchange Rate Policy,"
CDMA Working Paper Series
201005, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Senay, Ozge & Sutherland, Alan, 2010. "Local Currency Pricing, Foreign Monetary Shocks and Exchange Rate Policy," SIRE Discussion Papers 2010-18, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Andrew Berg & Yanliang Miao, 2010. "The Real Exchange Rate and Growth Revisited," IMF Working Papers 10/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon & Jane Korinek, 2011.
"To What Extent Do Exchange Rates and their Volatility Affect Trade?,"
OECD Trade Policy Papers
119, OECD Publishing.
- Maryline Huchet-Bourdon & J. Korinek, 2011. "To what extent do exchange rates and their volatility affect trade ?," Post-Print hal-00729403, HAL.
- Kevin B. Grier & Aaron D. Smallwood, 2007. "Uncertainty and Export Performance: Evidence from 18 Countries," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(4), pages 965-979, 06.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, December.
- Richard Fabling & Arthur Grimes, 2008. "Over the hedge? Exporters' optimal and selective hedging choices," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2008/14, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- David Hargreaves & Andy Brookes & Carrick Lucas & Bruce White, 2000. "Can hedging insulate firms from exchange rate risk," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 63, March.
- Berthou, Antoine, 2008. "An investigation on the effect of real exchange rate movements on OECD bilateral exports," Working Paper Series 0920, European Central Bank.
- Corden, W M, 1984. "Booming Sector and Dutch Disease Economics: Survey and Consolidation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 359-80, November.
- Torvik, Ragnar, 2001. "Learning by doing and the Dutch disease," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 285-306, February.
- Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon & Jane Korinek, 2012. "Trade Effects of Exchange Rates and their Volatility: Chile and New Zealand," OECD Trade Policy Papers 136, OECD Publishing.
- Fabling, Richard & Grimes, Arthur, 2008. "Do Exporters Cut the Hedge? Who Hedges, When and Why?," Occasional Papers 08/2, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Jordi Gal� & Tommaso Monacelli, 2005. "Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Volatility in a Small Open Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 707-734.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.