Review of Evidence on Broad Outcome of Public Sector Management Regime
AbstractThe paper summarises research material on the outcomes of the public sector management regime, with an emphasis on material produced from 1995 to 1999, covering the core public sector and Crown Entities. It identifies an apparent consensus about the strengths and weaknesses of the regime and evidence to support the consensus. Strengths include: more efficient production of outputs; a more responsive and innovative public sector delivering better services; improved financial accountability; and improved overall fiscal control. The main weaknesses identified relate to the effectiveness of the regime in delivering outcomes. The paper notes a widespread perception of a lack of empirical data on the effects of the reforms and comments on areas where further evaluation may be desirable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by New Zealand Treasury in its series Treasury Working Paper Series with number 01/06.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: New Zealand Treasury, PO Box 3724, Wellington, New Zealand
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graham C. Scott, 1996. "Government Reform in New Zealand," IMF Occasional Papers, International Monetary Fund 140, International Monetary Fund.
- John Mendzela, 1994. "Improving the Management of a Central Bank," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 94/37, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Cangiano, 1996. "Accountability and Transparency in the Public Sector," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 96/122, International Monetary Fund.
- Nick Manning & Neil Parison, 2004. "International Public Administration Reform : Implications for the Russian Federation," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15068, August.
- Angela Barnes & Steve Leith, 2001. "Budget Management That Counts: Recent Approaches to Budget and Fiscal Management in New Zealand," Treasury Working Paper Series, New Zealand Treasury 01/24, New Zealand Treasury.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.