The Cyclical Behavior of Job Creation and Job Destruction
AbstractPanel studies show that job creation and job destruction coexist at all phase of the business cycle. In this paper, we develop a model of endogenous job destruction in response to persistent idiosyncratic shocks and incorporate the model into he transactions cost (matching) approach to equilibrium job creation and wage determination. Second, we examine the dynamic stochastic implications of the model for co-movement between job creation, job destruction, and the employment growth induced by a common aggregate shock to productivity. Finally, a simulation of the model for a reasonable parametrization demonstrates that it can explain cyclical properties of US Manufacturing data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science in its series Discussion Papers with number 982.
Date of creation: Feb 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, Northwestern University, 580 Jacobs Center, 2001 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-2014
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Gary D., 1985.
"Indivisible labor and the business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 309-327, November.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1989. "The Beveridge Curve," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 1-76.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986.
"Theory ahead of business cycle measurement,"
102, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986. "Theory ahead of business cycle measurement," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 9-22.
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- Caballero, R.J. & Hammour, M.L., 1991.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
1991_59, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1991. "Minimum weighted residual methods for solving aggregate growth models," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 49, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christiano, Lawrence J, 1990. "Solving the Stochastic Growth Model by Linear-Quadratic Approximation and by Value-Function Iteration," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 23-26, January.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & John Haltiwanger, 1995.
"Aggregate Employment Dynamics: Building From Microeconomic Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Engel, Eduardo M R A & Haltiwanger, John, 1997. "Aggregate Employment Dynamics: Building from Microeconomic Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 115-37, March.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo Engel & John Haltiwanger, 1996. "Aggregate Employment Dynamics: Building from Microeconomic Evidence," Documentos de Trabajo 6, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Shi Shouyong, 1997.
"Search for a Monetary Propagation Mechanism,"
966, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck, 2002.
"Unemployment Compensation Finance and Aggregate Employment Fluctuations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3614, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier L'Haridon & Franck Malherbet, 2002. "Unemployment Compensation Finance and Aggregate Employment Fluctuations," Working Papers 2002-48, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger & John Baldwin, 1994.
"A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States,"
94-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1998. "A Comparison Of Job Creation And Job Destruction In Canada And The United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 347-356, August.
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States," NBER Working Papers 4726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo A. Lagos, .
""An Alternative Approach to Market Frictions: An Application to the Market for Taxicab Rides'',"
CARESS Working Papres
96-09, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Ricardo A. Lagos, . "An Alternative Approach to Market Frictions: An Application to the Market for Taxicab Rides," Penn CARESS Working Papers 058589d20e3fbe4e559adb44b, Penn Economics Department.
- Harald Dale-Olsen & Dag Rønningen, 2000. "The Importance of Definitions of Data and Observation Frequen-cies for Job and Worker Flows - Norwegian Experiences 1996-1997," Discussion Papers 278, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.