Correlation of Types in Bayesian Games
AbstractDespite their importance, games with incomplete information and dependent types are poorly understood; only special cases have been considered and a general approach is not yet available. In this paper, we propose a new condition (named richness) for correlation of types in (asymmetric) Bayesian games. Richness is related to the idea that “beliefs do not determine preferences” and that types should be modeled with two explicit parts: one for payoffs and another for beliefs. With this condition, we are able to provide the first pure strategy equilibrium existence result for a general model of multi-unit auctions with correlated types. We then focus on a special case of richness, called “grid distributions,” and establish necessary and sufficient conditions for the existence of a symmetric monotonic pure strategy equilibrium in first-price auctions with general levels of correlation. We also provide a polynomial-time algorithm to verify this existence and suggest, using simulations, that the revenue superiority of English auctions may not hold for positively correlated types in general. JEL Classification Numbers: C62, C72, D44, D82
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science in its series Discussion Papers with number 1556.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science, Northwestern University, 580 Jacobs Center, 2001 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-2014
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/math/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CTA-2012-11-24 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2012-11-24 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2012-11-24 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Zandt, Timothy, 2010. "Interim Bayesian Nash equilibrium on universal type spaces for supermodular games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(1), pages 249-263, January.
- Neeman, Z., 1998.
"The Relevance of Private Infromation in Mechanism Design,"
93, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Neeman, Zvika, 2004. "The relevance of private information in mechanism design," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 55-77, July.
- Zvika Neeman, 1998. "The Relevance of Private Information in Mechanism Design," Papers 0093, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- David McAdams, 2003. "Isotone Equilibrium in Games of Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1191-1214, 07.
- Aviad Heifetz & Dov Samet, 1996.
"Topology-Free Typology of Beliefs,"
Game Theory and Information
9609002, EconWPA, revised 17 Sep 1996.
- John K.-H. Quah & Bruno Strulovici, 2007.
"Comparative Statics, Informativeness, and the Interval Dominance Order,"
2007-W04, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- John K.-H. Quah & Bruno Strulovici, 2009. "Comparative Statics, Informativeness, and the Interval Dominance Order," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1949-1992, November.
- John Quah & Bruno Strulovici, 2007. "Comparative Statics, Informativeness, and the Interval Dominance Order," Economics Series Working Papers 2007-WO4, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Aloisio Araujo & Luciano I. de Castro, 2006.
"Pure Strategy Equilibria Of Single And Double Auctions With Interdependent Values,"
Economics Working Papers
we065320, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Araujo, Aloisio & de Castro, Luciano I., 2009. "Pure strategy equilibria of single and double auctions with interdependent values," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 25-48, January.
- Wilson, Robert, 1977. "A Bidding Model of Perfect Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 511-18, October.
- Jackson, Matthew O., 2005.
"Non-Existence of Equilibrium in Vickrey, Second-Price, and English Auctions,"
1241, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Matthew Jackson, 2009. "Non-existence of equilibrium in Vickrey, second-price, and English auctions," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 137-145, April.
- Aviad Heifetz & Zvika Neeman, 2004.
"On the Generic (Im)possibility of Full Surplus Extraction in Mechanism Design,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp350, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Aviad Heifetz & Zvika Neeman, 2006. "On the Generic (Im)Possibility of Full Surplus Extraction in Mechanism Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 213-233, 01.
- Rahul Savani & Bernhard Stengel, 2006. "Hard-to-Solve Bimatrix Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(2), pages 397-429, 03.
- William Vickrey, 1961. "Counterspeculation, Auctions, And Competitive Sealed Tenders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 8-37, 03.
- Monteiro, Paulo Klinger & Moreira, Humberto, 2006. "First-price auctions without affiliation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 1-7, April.
- Van Zandt, Timothy & Vives, Xavier, 2007.
"Monotone equilibria in Bayesian games of strategic complementarities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 339-360, May.
- Van Zandt, Timothy & Vives, Xavier, 2003. "Monotone Equilibria in Bayesian Games of Strategic Complementarities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4103, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fang, Hanming & Morris, Stephen, 2006.
"Multidimensional private value auctions,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Stephen Morris & Hanming Fang, 2004. "Multidimensional Private Value Auctions," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 174, Econometric Society.
- Stephen Morris & Hanming Fang, 2004. "Multidimensional Private Value Auctions," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm387, Yale School of Management.
- Hanming Fang & Stephen Morris, 2003. "Multidimensional Private Value Auctions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1423, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hanming Fang, 2004. "Multidimensional Private Value Auctions," Theory workshop papers 121473000000000021, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ilan Kremer & Kjell G. Nyborg, 2004. "Divisible-Good Auctions: The Role of Allocation Rules," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(1), pages 147-159, Spring.
- Cremer, Jacques & McLean, Richard P, 1985. "Optimal Selling Strategies under Uncertainty for a Discriminating Monopolist When Demands Are Interdependent," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 345-61, March.
- Luciano I. de Castro, 2007. "Affiliation, equilibrium existence and the revenue ranking of auctions," Economics Working Papers we074622, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Philip J. Reny, 1999. "On the Existence of Pure and Mixed Strategy Nash Equilibria in Discontinuous Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1029-1056, September.
- Lizzeri, Alessandro & Persico, Nicola, 2000. "Uniqueness and Existence of Equilibrium in Auctions with a Reserve Price," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 83-114, January.
- Rustichini, Aldo, 1993. "Mixing on Function Spaces," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 183-91, January.
- McAdams, David, 2007. "On the failure of monotonicity in uniform-price auctions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 729-732, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fran Walker).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.