Multidimensional Inequality Measurement: a Proposal
AbstractTwo essential intuitions about the concept of multidimensional inequality have been highlighted in the emerging body of literature on this subject: first, multidimensional inequality should be a function of the uniform inequality of a multivariate distribution of goods or attributes across people (Kolm, 1977); and second, it should also be a function of the cross-correlation between distributions of goods or attributes in different dimensions (Atkinson and Bourguignon, 1982; Walzer, 1983). The present paper proposes a general method of designing a wider range of multidimensional inequality indices that also respect both intuitions, and illustrates this method by defining two classes of such indices: a generalization of the Gini coefficient, and a generalization of Atkinson ; s one-dimensional measure of inequality.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford in its series Economics Papers with number 9927.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/economics/
INCOME DISTRIBUTION ; SOCIAL CHOICE ; POVERTY;
Other versions of this item:
- Christian List, 1999. "Multidimensional Inequality Measurement: A Proposal," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-W27, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Ana Lugo & Koen Decancq, 2009.
"Measuring Inequality of Well-Being with a Correlation-Sensitive Multidimensional Gini Index,"
Economics Series Working Papers
459, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2009. "Measuring inequality of well-being with a correlation-sensitive multidimensional Gini index," Working Papers 124, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Thibault Gajdos & John A. Weymark, 2003.
"Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0311, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jul 2003.
- Thibault Gadjos & John A, Weymark, 2003. "Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices," Working Papers 2003-16, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Thibault Gajdos & John A. Weymark, 2003. "Multidimensional generalized Gini indices," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 16-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Thibault Gajdos & John Weymark, 2005. "Multidimensional Generalized Gini Indices," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00085881, HAL.
- Barry C. Arnold, 2005. "Inequality measures for multivariate distributions," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 317-327.
- Ma Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia & Amaia de Sarachu, 2008.
"Characterizing multidimensional inequality measures which fulfil the Pigou-Dalton bundle principle,"
99, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia & Amaia Sarachu, 2010. "Characterizing multidimensional inequality measures which fulfil the Pigou–Dalton bundle principle," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 319-329, July.
- Andrea Brandolini, 2008. "On applying synthetic indices of multidimensional well-being: health and income inequalities in selected EU countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 668, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Banerjee, Asis Kumar, 2010. "A multidimensional Gini index," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 87-93, September.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2009. "Measurement of income mobility: a re-examination," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 629-645, November.
- Henar Diez & Mª Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Marta Urrutia, 2007. "Unit-Consistent Aggregative Multidimensional Inequality Measures: A Characterization," Working Papers 66, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- John A. Weymark, 2003. "The Normative Approach to the Measurement of Multidimensional Inequality," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0314, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jan 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.