Corporate Boards in some OECD countries: Size, composition, functioning and effectiveness
AbstractIn recent years, the debate about the efficiency of corporate governance mechanisms has focused on the activity of corporate boards of directors. This paper joins this debate by analyzing the effect of board size, composition and structure on firm value in a sample of 450 non-financial companies from ten Western Europe and North American countries. The econometric method combines uniequational regression analysis with simultaneous equations in order to control for the possibility of board size and composition endogeneity. The results show a negative relationship between firm value and the board of directors size. This relation holds when we control for alternative definitions of firm size and for board composition, board structure, country effect and industry effect. We find no significant relationship between outside directors and firm value. These results are consistent, in an international framework, with previous relevant papers.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Interuniversity Research Master and Doctorate Program (with a quality mention of ANECA) on "Business Economics", Universities of Valladolid, Burgos, Salamanca and León (Spain). Until 2008, Interuniversity Doctorate Program (with a quality mention of ANECA) “New trends in Business Administration”, Universities of Valladolid, Burgos, and Salamanca (Spain). Master en Investigación y Programa de Doctorado Interuniversitarios (con mención de calidad de la ANECA) en "Economía de la Empresa", Universidades de Valladolid, Burgos, Salamanca y León (España). Hasta 2008, Programa de Doctorado Interuniversitario (con mención de calidad de la ANECA) “Nuevas Tendencias en Dirección de Empresas”, Universidades de Valladolid, Burgos y Salamanca (España). in its series Working Papers "New Trends on Business Administration". Documentos de Trabajo "Nuevas Tendencias en Dirección de Empresas". with number 2000-10.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Corporate Governance: An International Review, vol. 13, no. 2, 20005, pages 197-210.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avda. Valle Esgueva, 6, 47011 Valladolid
Phone: +34 983 420000 ext. 4392
Fax: +34 983 423899
Web page: http://www3.uva.es/empresa/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Av. Valle de Esgueva, 6. E-47011-Valladolid (Spain)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Mínguez & Juan Francisco Martín Ugedo, 2003. "El Consejo De Administración Como Mecanismo De Control: Evidencia Para El Mercado Español," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fortuna-Lindo, Jose M.).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.