Unions and Workplace Performance in Britain and France
AbstractUsing nationally representative workplace surveys we examine the relationship between unionization and workplace financial performance in Britain and France. We find that union bargaining is detrimental to workplace performance in Britain and that this effect is larger when unionization is endogenized. In France, union bargaining is associated with poorer workplace performance but the effect disappears once unionization is treated as endogenous. However, high levels of union density do have a negative impact on workplace performance in France. In Britain the union effect does not rise with union density.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Institute of Economic and Social Research in its series NIESR Discussion Papers with number 327.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2 Dean Trench Street Smith Square London SW1P 3HE
Web page: http://niesr.ac.uk
Other versions of this item:
- Alex Bryson & John Forth & Patrice Laroche, 2009. "Unions and Workplace Performance in Britain and France," CEP Discussion Papers dp0920, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hirsch, Barry T., 2003.
"What Do Unions Do for Economic Performance?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
892, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Freeman, Richard B & Medoff, James L, 1981. "The Impact of the Percentage Organized on Union and Nonunion Wages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 561-72, November.
- Stephen Machin, 2000.
"Union Decline in Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0455, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alex Bryson & John Forth, 2008.
"Competition and the Retreat from Collective Bargaining,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
318, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Brown , W. & Bryson , A. & Forth , J., 2008. "Competition and the Retreat from Collective Bargaining," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0831, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- David Blanchflower & Alex Bryson, 2002. "Changes over time in union relative wage effects in the UK and the US revisited," NBER Working Papers 9395, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Machin, Stephen & Stewart, Mark, 1996.
"Trade Unions and Financial Performance,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 213-41, April.
- Stewart, Mark B, 1987.
"Collective Bargaining Arrangements, Closed Shops and Relative Pay,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(385), pages 140-56, March.
- Stewart, Mark B, 1986. "Collective Bargaining Arrangements Closed Shops and Relative Pay," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 273, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Machin, Stephen J & Stewart, Mark B, 1990. "Unions and the Financial Performance of British Private Sector Establishments," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 327-50, Oct.-Dec..
- Alex Bryson & Harald Dale-Olsen, 2008. "A Tale of Two Countries: Unions, Closures and Growth in Britain and Norway," CEP Discussion Papers dp0867, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Addison, John T & Hirsch, Barry T, 1989. "Union Effects on Productivity, Profits, and Growth: Has the Long Run Arrived?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 72-105, January.
- Alex Bryson, 2007. "The Effect of Trade Unions on Wages," Reflets et perspectives de la vie économique, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(2), pages 33-45.
- Patrice Laroche & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2009. "Unions and Profits: A meta-regression Analysis," Post-Print hal-00648569, HAL.
- Edward J. Schumacher, 1999. "What Explains Wage Differences Between Union Members and Covered Nonmembers?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 493-512, January.
- Forth, John & Millward, Neil, 2002. "Union effects on pay levels in Britain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 547-561, September.
- Paula B. Voos, 1987. "Managerial perceptions of the economic impact of labor relations programs," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(2), pages 195-208, January.
- Anne Hawke & Mark Wooden, 1997. "The 1995 Australian Workplace Industrial Relations Survey," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(3), pages 323-328.
- Thomas Breda, 2010. "Are union representatives badly paid? Evidence from France," Working Papers halshs-00564905, HAL.
- Thomas Breda, 2010. "Firms' rents, workers' bargaining power and the union wage premium in France," PSE Working Papers halshs-00564903, HAL.
- Thomas Breda, 2010. "Firms' rents, workers' bargaining power and the union wage premium in France," Working Papers halshs-00564903, HAL.
- Annette van den Berg & Yolanda Grift & Arjen van Witteloostuijn & Christophe Boone & Olivier Van der Brempt, 2013. "The Effect of Employee Workplace Representation on Firm Performance a Cross-Country Comparison within Europe," Working Papers 13-05, Utrecht School of Economics.
- VAN DEN BERG, Annette & GRIFT, Yolanda & VAN WITTELOOSTUIJN, Arjen & BOONE, Christophe & VAN DER BREMPT, Olivier, 2013. "The effect of employee workplace representation on firm performance. A cross-country comparison within Europe," Working Papers 2013008, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Patrice Laroche & Heidi Wechtler, 2011. "The Effects of Labor Unions on Workplace Performance: New Evidence from France," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 157-180, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Communications Manager).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.