The determinants of economic efficiency in English and Welsh universities
AbstractWith imperfect markets for the services of the higher education sector, it is important to assess the effectiveness of institutions. Previous studies have analysed the costs of universities but only one, to our knowledge, their efficiency. In this paper, we examine the costs and efficiency of institutions of higher education as suppliers of teaching and research using the method of stochastic frontier analysis. This paper is unique in that it investigates the impact of staff and student characteristics on efficiency. We find that there is inefficiency in higher education. This result is robust to the inclusion of a qualitative measure of output into the cost function. There is also evidence of convergence in the inefficiency of institutions, implying that the less efficient institutions are Ã”catching up' with those nearer to the cost frontier. Our analysis suggests that the anticipation of the introduction of tuition fees may have led to a shake-up in the less efficient universities. However, the results suggest that this effect was short-lived and offset by the more efficient universities relaxing somewhat.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Institute of Economic and Social Research in its series NIESR Discussion Papers with number 157.
Date of creation: Sep 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2 Dean Trench Street Smith Square London SW1P 3HE
Web page: http://niesr.ac.uk
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/3381 is not listed on IDEAS
- Malinka Koparanova, 2007. "Structural Changes in the Manufacturing Industry of Transition Economies," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 3-42.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Communications Manager).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.