Do the new EU member states form an Optimum Currency Area with the eurozone? Evidence from six Central and Eastern European Countries
AbstractThe present paper examines whether six of the new European Union member states -the six Central and Eastern European Countries- form an optimum currency area (OCA) with the eurozone. The study applies the theory of Generalized Purchasing Power Parity, which analyses the behavior of the long-run real exchange rates of a group of economies with respect to a base currency. The findings indicate that the six countries form an OCA with the eurozone for the period following the introduction of the euro.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Serbia in its series SEEMHN papers with number 16.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Note: The paper was presented at the Fourth Annual SEEMHN Conference hosted by the National Bank of Serbia, 27 March 2009 in Belgrade.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 12 Kralja Petra St, 11 000 Belgrade
Web page: http://www.nbs.rs/
More information through EDIRC
EU enlargement; OCA; real Exchange rates; Cointegration; GPPP;
Other versions of this item:
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2009. "Do the new EU member states form an Optimum Currency Area with the eurozone? Evidence from six Central and Eastern European Countries," SEEMHN papers 15, National Bank of Serbia.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2009. "Do the new EU member states form an Optimum Currency Area with the eurozone? Evidence from six Central and Eastern European Countries," SEEMHN papers 17, National Bank of Serbia.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Bernstein, 2000. "Generalized purchasing power parity and the case of the European Union as a successful currency area," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(4), pages 385-395, December.
- Christev, Atanas & Noorbakhsh, Abbas, 2000. "Long-run purchasing power parity, prices and exchange rates in transition: The case of six Central and East European countries," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 87-108.
- Egert, Balazs, 2007.
"Central bank interventions, communication and interest rate policy in emerging European economies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 387-413, June.
- Balazs Egert, 2006. "Central Bank Interventions, Communication and Interest Rate Policy in Emerging European Economies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1869, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balazs Egert, 2006. "Central Bank Interventions, Communication and Interest Rate Policy in Emerging European Economies," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0615, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Balázs Égert, 2006. "Central Bank Interventions, Communication and Interest Rate Policy in Emerging European Economies," Working Papers 134, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Roman Horvath, 2007. "Ready for Euro? Evidence on EU new member states," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(14), pages 1083-1086.
- Dimitrios A. Sideris, 2007.
"Foreign Exchange Intervention and Equilibrium Real Exchange Rates,"
56, Bank of Greece.
- Sideris, Dimitrios A., 2008. "Foreign exchange intervention and equilibrium real exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 344-357, October.
- Taufiq Choudhry, 2005. "Asian Currency Crisis and the Generalized PPP: Evidence from the Far East," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 137-157, 06.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2001.
"Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with structural shifts,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,82, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lutkepohl, Helmut, 2000. "Testing for the Cointegrating Rank of a VAR Process with Structural Shifts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(4), pages 451-64, October.
- Enders, Walter & Hurn, Stan, 1994. "Theory and Tests of Generalized Purchasing-Power Parity: Common Trends and Real Exchange Rates in the Pacific Rim," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 179-90, June.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1996.
"Integration, specialization, and adjustment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 959-967, April.
- Peter Wilson & Keen Meng Choy, 2007.
"Prospects for enhanced exchange rate cooperation in East Asia: some preliminary findings from generalized PPP theory,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 981-995.
- Peter Wilson & Choy Keen Meng, 2006. "Prospects For Enhanced Exchange Rate Cooperation in East Asia: Some Preliminary Findings from Generalized PPP Theory," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0601, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 1998.
"Testing for the cointegrating rank of a VAR process with an intercept,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1998,51, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut, 2000. "Testing For The Cointegrating Rank Of A Var Process With An Intercept," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 373-406, June.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2006. "Purchasing Power Parity in economies in transition: evidence from Central and East European countries," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 135-143.
- Lucio Sarno, 1997. "Policy convergence, the exchange rate mechanism and the misalignment of exchange rates. Some tests of purchasing power parity and generalized purchasing power parity," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 591-605.
- Neves, J. Anchieta & Stocco, Leandro & Da Silva, Sergio, 2007. "Is Mercosur an optimum currency area?," MPRA Paper 2758, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Changmo AHN & Hong-Bum KIM & Dongkoo CHANG, 2006. "Is East Asia Fit For An Optimum Currency Area? An Assessment Of The Economic Feasibility Of A Higher Degree Of Monetary Cooperation In East Asia," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(3), pages 288-305.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, September.
- Kentaro Kawasaki & Eiji Ogawa, 2006. "What Should the Weights of the Three Major Currencies be in a Common Currency Basket in East Asia? ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 75-94, 03.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Michael Flad & Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2007. "Monetary Integration of the New EU Member States: What Sets the Pace of Euro Adoption?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 367-409, 06.
- Candelon, Bertrand & Kool, Clemens & Raabe, Katharina & van Veen, Tom, 2007. "Long-run real exchange rate determinants: Evidence from eight new EU member states, 1993-2003," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 87-107, March.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maja Mihovilovic).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.