The Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy of Nepal: Evidence from Bank Level
AbstractThis paper examines the bank lending channel of monetary policy transmission in Nepal using data during 2003-2012. Using the dynamic Arellano-Bond GMM estimation with annual data of 25 Nepalese commercial banks, this study tries to estimate the loan supply responses of the Nepalese Commercial banks, depending on their balance sheet characteristics. The main results suggest that banks play a role in Nepal's monetary transmission mechanism. The empirical result shows that the bank lending decreases after a monetary tightening. Bank size is found to have significant impact on loan supply in Nepal. Similarly, liquidity in the case of private sector banks is also playing significant role in the bank lending in response to the monetary policy changes. But, the capitalization is found to have no significant impact on the bank lending. The bank loan supply is also found to be significantly affected by the gross domestic product.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department in its series NRB Working Paper with number 17/2013.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Bank lending channel; bank loans; monetary policy; Nepal;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rania Al Mashat & Andreas Billmeier, 2008.
"The Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Egypt,"
411, Economic Research Forum, revised Jun 2008.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge MartÃ¬nez-PagÃ¨s & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001.
"Fynancial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro area,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
432, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0118, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge & Sevestre, Patrick & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0105, European Central Bank.
- Sevestre, Patrick & Martinez-Pages, Jorge & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2001,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Carlo A. Favero & Francesco Giavazzi & Luca Flabbi, 1999.
"The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Europe: Evidence from Banks' Balance Sheets,"
NBER Working Papers
7231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Giavazzi, 1999. "The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Europe: Evidence from Banks’ Balance Sheets," Working papers 99-20, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Favero, Carlo A & Flabbi, Luca & Giavazzi, Francesco, 1999. "The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in Europe: Evidence from Banks' Balance Sheets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2303, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L. de Haan, 2001.
"The Credit Channel in the Netherlands: Evidence from Bank Balance Sheets,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
674, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo, 2001. "The credit channel in the Netherlands: evidence from bank balance sheets," Working Paper Series 0098, European Central Bank.
- Farinha, Luísa & Robalo Marques, Carlos, 2001.
"The bank lending channel of monetary policy: identification and estimation using Portuguese micro bank data,"
Working Paper Series
0102, European Central Bank.
- Luísa Farinha & Carlos Robalo Marques, 2002. "The bank lending channel of monetary policy: identification and estimation using Portuguese micro bank data," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 A4-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Juurikkala, Tuuli & Solanko, Laura & Karas, Alexei, 2009.
"The role of banks in monetary policy transmission: Empirical evidence from Russia,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
8/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Tuuli Juurikkala & Alexei Karas & Laura Solanko, 2011. "The Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission: Empirical Evidence from Russia," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 109-121, 02.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adel Boughrara & Samir Ghazouani, 2010. "Is There A Bank Lending Channel Of Monetary Policy In Selected Mena Countries? A Comparative Analysis," Middle East Development Journal (MEDJ), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 2(02), pages 251-282.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Bank lending and the transmission of monetary policy," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 47-79.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Bishnu Prasad Gautam).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.