Foreign shareholding: A decomposition analysis
AbstractStulz (2005) has emphasised that for home bias to decline, insiders have to reduce ownership so as to make purchase of shares by foreigners possible. We offer a decomposition in the ownership of shares by foreigners into three parts: the change in insider shareholding, the change in market capitalisation and the change in the fraction of outside shareholding that is held by foreigners. As an example, this decomposition is applied to help understand the sharp change in foreign ownership of Indian firms after 2001.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Institute of Public Finance and Policy in its series Working Papers with number 10/74.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Working Paper 74, 2010
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nipfp.org.in
Home bias; Foreign investors;
Other versions of this item:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2010-11-20 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2010-11-20 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M. & Warnock, Francis E., 2006.
"Financial Globalization, Governance, and the Evolution of the Home Bias,"
Working Paper Series
2006-12, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Bong-Chan Kho & René M. Stulz & Francis E. Warnock, 2009. "Financial Globalization, Governance, and the Evolution of the Home Bias," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 597-635, 05.
- Bong-Chan Kho & Rene M. Stulz & Francis E. Warnock, 2008. "Financial globalization, governance, and the evolution of the home bias," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 12, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bong-Chan Kho & René M Stulz & Francis E Warnock, 2006. "Financial globalisation, governance and the evolution of the home bias," BIS Working Papers 220, Bank for International Settlements.
- Bong-Chan Kho & René M. Stulz & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Financial Globalization, Governance, and the Evolution of the Home Bias," NBER Working Papers 12389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (S.Siva Chidambaram).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.