Tariff Reforms with Rigid Wages
AbstractThis paper analyses the effects of tariff reforms on welfare and market access in a competitive small open economy that is characterised by involuntary unemployment due to non-market clearing wages that are fixed either in terms of the numeraire or in real terms. We show that recent tariff-reform results can be extended to integrated reforms of tariffs and the wage rate, and that the inherent tension between reforms that increase welfare and market access carry over. We also derive welfare increasing tariff-reform strategies that keep the wage rate constant, and show that this tension may be attenuated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Nottingham, GEP in its series Discussion Papers with number 07/29.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Tariff Reform; Unemployment; Small Open Economy;
Other versions of this item:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 2004.
"Welfare versus Market Access: The Implications of Tariff Structure for Tariff Reform,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
601, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter, 2007. "Welfare versus market access: The implications of tariff structure for tariff reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 187-205, March.
- James E Anderson & J Peter Neary, 2004. "Welfare versus Market Access - The Implications of Tariff Structure for Tariff Reform," Working Papers 200423, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Ju, Jiandong & Krishna, Kala, 2000. "Welfare and market access effects of piecemeal tariff reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 305-316, August.
- Neary, J Peter, 1989.
"Trade Liberalization and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Trade Liberalisation and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 531-54, August.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1859-69, November.
- Udo Kreickemeier, 2005. "Unemployment and the welfare effects of trade policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(1), pages 194-210, February.
- Daniel Bernhofen & Raymond Riezman, 2009. "Introduction: ‘New directions in international trade theory’," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 1-3, October.
- Theodore Palivos & Nikos Tsakiris, 2011.
"Trade and Tax Reforms in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
Southern Economic Journal,
Southern Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 1014-1032, April.
- Theodore Palivos & Nikos Tsakiris, 2010. "Trade and Tax Reforms in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," Discussion Paper Series 2010_07, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
- Theodore Palivos & Nikos Tsakiris, 2009. "Trade and Tax Reforms in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 1-2009, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.