Consumers' perceptions about food quality attributes and their incidence in argentinean organic choices
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to analyze consumers' perceptions about risk and quality attributes of food consumption; and to evaluate the incidence of these factors when buying organic products in the Argentinean domestic market. Data derives from a food consumption survey on organic and non-organic consumers conducted in Buenos Aires City, Argentina, in April 2005. The Lancaster model (1966) provided the theoretical basis. The results yielded by the estimated logistic model suggest that consumers with higher educational level, who eat healthy food, and consider food control organisms as "inefficient" are more likely to buy organic products. A high percentage of consumers read and trust label information in Argentina. This has interesting policy implications to promote differentiated and high value products, and to reduce information asymmetries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Documentación, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata in its series Nülan. Deposited Documents with number 1603.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology A, 1(3), 2011, pp. 375-385
Consumidores; Percepción; Alimentos Orgánicos; Atributos de Calidad; Argentina;
Other versions of this item:
- Rodriguez, Elsa M. & Lupin, Beatriz & Lacaze, Maria Victoria, 2006. "Consumers' Perceptions about Food Quality Attributes and Their Incidence in Argentinean Organic Choices," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25791, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rodríguez, Elsa Mirta M. & Lupín, M. Beatriz & Lacaze, María Victoria, 2006. "Consumers' perceptions about food quality attributes and their incidence in argentinean organic choices," NÃ¼lan. Deposited Documents 1021, Centro de Documentación, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata.
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Kinsey, 2005. "Will food safety jeopardize food security?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 149-158, 01.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Chen, Kevin Z. & Ali, Murad & Veeman, Michele M. & Unterschultz, James R. & Le, Theresa, 2002. "Relative Importance Rankings For Pork Attributes By Asian-Origin Consumers In California: Applying An Ordered Probit Model To A Choice-Based Sample," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Henson, Spencer & Traill, Bruce, 1993. "The demand for food safety : Market imperfections and the role of government," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 152-162, April.
- Baker, Gregory A., 1999. "Consumer Preferences For Food Safety Attributes In Fresh Apples: Market Segments, Consumer Characteristics, And Marketing Opportunities," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Govindasamy, Ramu & Italia, John, 1999. "Predicting Willingness-To-Pay A Premium For Organically Grown Fresh Produce," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(2), July.
- Rodríguez, Elsa Mirta M. & Lacaze, María Victoria, 2005. "Consumer’s preferences for organic food in Argentina," NÃ¼lan. Deposited Documents 1291, Centro de Documentación, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata.
- Rodríguez, Elsa Mirta M. & Lacaze, María Victoria & Lupín, M. Beatriz, 2008.
"Contingent valuation of consumers' willingness-to-pay for organic food in Argentina,"
NÃ¼lan. Deposited Documents
1022, Centro de Documentación, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata.
- Rodriguez, Elsa M. & Lacaze, Maria Victoria & Lupin, Beatriz, 2008. "Contingent Valuation of Consumers’ Willingness-to-Pay for Organic Food in Argentina," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43947, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cristian Merlino S.).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.